DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Lifter wheel wobbling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lifter wheel wobbling
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
I have aset of lifters I was given to try. they are bushing lifters and rqason I got them was to try in non pressure fed system engine. My Hemi does not run pressure fed oiling to lifters and oils thru rocker shafts for rockers.

Tonight had enig down and pulled lifter to check runout. Found zero issue run out wise, I did however notice roller had very slight wobble when twisting in lifter. I did had mic clamped on and moving in twisting motions side to side. It is very minor but figure if can see it Probably issue. I have email to manufacture about them to get opinion.

Wondering if anyone with bushing lifteres have ever had similar issue?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
update
Manufacture told me as long as there is less than .005 movement its not issue and to have them rebuilt if more than that. Also said he has seen lifters with .007 run at top of field and no issue.

Making a fixture to check them tonight.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Clamp the lifter in a V block wheel facing up.
Put the indicator tip on the wheel then pry it up gently and observe the movement.

Posts: 693 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have a piece I made to check run out. A piece of aluminum bored .906 ,.002 over liter with set screw. :Lifter slides in you loc it down and indicators are mounted above and IN front of roller you can roll lifter with finger aqnd see any movement. Bath indicators are .0001 indicators. if there is any movement I will now find it.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a set of bushed comps I ran for 4 years I just replaced with needle bearings last month. Couldn't get bushed. They have that side to side wobble you are speaking of, and it made me nervous to the point I didn't want to put them back in. Had some evidence of the wheels skidding on the lobes. Tried to call comp a couple times, but didn't have time to wait half the day to talk to someone, and couldn't figure out how to go about checking them so I replaced them.

Interested to see how you check them and the results WO.

Posts: 1571 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post