DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    AMC 327 Engine Rod and Main Bearings
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AMC 327 Engine Rod and Main Bearings
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Summit sent Brian a set of King CR803S1 .010 rod bearings and one set of MB 554AM .010 mains so we will give them a try and see how they fit. King claims they will work even though the box says they are for a SB Chevy, we'll see.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Any luck finding the fm bearings? They are for an amc engine. I hope it all works out one way or another.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
My parts # comes out to #2230p-10 for rods. #7205M-10 I will check my shelves tomorrow. An old machine and parts store closed down and I bought all remaining inventory. every day I find rare parts and seals plug wires ect. I have over 16ft.racks with part#s.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The King rod and main bearing sets that Summit sent will not work.

FYI:

The 1966 AMC 327, other than the bore (4.00 and stroke (3.25) is totally different than a Chevy 327.

(1) Chevy stock 327 rods are 5.70 long and the AMC stock 327 rods are 6.375 long. Therefore the Chevy L/S ratio is 1.754, the AMC L/S ratio is 1.962. This engine also has a steel crank.

(2) The wrist pins for a Chevy 327 are .927 the AMC are .931.

(3) The Chevy 327 deck height is 9.025 the 327 AMC deck height is 9.994.

(4) The 327 Chevy compression height for a stock flat top piston is 1.654 while the 327 AMC flat top piston is listed as 2.187.

(5) No one manufactures a aluminum intake for an AMC 327.

(6) The FM rod and main sets Footloose listed are correct. We did locate a set of rod bearings (-.010) and a set of mains (-.020). They should arrive here by Saturday.

Perhaps this nightmare may be over. Last remaining missing item is a oil pump pick-up. I can fabricate one to fit.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
You have mail Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you can find STD bearings ,You can have the crank Chromed up to STD,We had a Ford V8 60 with similar situation .Sent crank to a shop in CA with finished dimensions and they hit it on target.Bill C.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just when you thought that it could not possibly get any worse.....guess again! Galvin's AMC Parts in Washington State shipped the -.010 rod and -.010 main sets, they arrived late Friday afternoon. Both sets were crushed during shipment folded in half, totally destroyed. Not a joke!

He is filing a shipping claim on Monday. He now owns two sets of bearings, one from Summit (incorrect) and a set from Galvin's (destroyed during shipment) for a total investment of $800. Not blaming Galvin's but hope that they have a second set of -.010's.

Great idea Bill, chroming the shaft may be our only option since we did find a set of -.001's and a set of -.002's.

Bob