Find
Notify
Tools

small caliper
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering if anyone is running a set of small calipers on rear to use as a drag only deal.

Fed's are not real happy if unloading power to rear real quick. Zoomies are like public PA announcement if you are peddling. Looking into options for driving topend, Yea do things easy way has never been my style. LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4201 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Drag the brakes a little?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5317 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I thought people hearing you womp on them was half the pleasure!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
nephropathy and little feeling in feet means easy to over do breaking. Leg muscle movement fine just feet.

I would rather have a small caliper connected to the brake handle . Brake handle in FED is almost a law and makes good spot to mount fuel shut off. The fact last race car I had with foot brake was around 1988 or so.

Figure a small caliper would make almost impossible to lock tires up,but still give enough drag to drop number or two.

Posts: 4201 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking about a SECOND brake set to slow it at finish line I guess it could work. If you are thinking of using smaller brakes for MAIN set of brakes not only NO but H@!! No!
The faster you go the more important stopping is. Smaller brakes will get hot and boil fluid faster and then you have a real problem when you need it most and you will never know until it is too late!

I run like four throttle return springs, I have larger than needed parachute and had dual rear brakes with SEPARATE master cylinders on my Altered in case one system failed. Plus I have a plan if anything happens in an emergency.

For me I would not even consider smaller brakes for the main set but if it is a secondary back up system will not hurt anything.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hence the end of first sentence. As a drag.

Never said,mentioned or implied smaller caliper as main braking system.

I also have much larger than need chute,one off my TA/D and have emergency air solenoid that will dump chute w/o my hand ever leaving steering wheel.It is also set so I can have it on timer if its a bad track that would cause concern over top end handling issue. Farmington a local track has had a bump at finish line in right hand lane for 40 years. Part of reason for that setup. Even have chute setup for quick change with other setup I have in case in hurry between rounds. Plus thinking of adding air launcher system to whole deal.

Again smaller setup is a drag for top in with very little chance of locking tires even with driver screw up.