New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiring opinions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Thinking about re-wiring my car. Have considered about every direction possible.

K&R and DD have pretty straight forward wiring with their kits and costs are about the same. Both have relays boards with soldered permanent relays.

Painless has similar kit with with a automotive style removeable relays.

I'm somewhat leery of the permanent relays of the K&R and DD in the event should a relay fail, the board would need to be sent back at some point for repair, while the Painless just swap in another relay. Meanwhile, I can count on one hand how many relays i've had fail in 25 years.

What are your experiences with the above products? Favorable features over one or the other?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
K&R makes good stuff, but I am like you, I don’t like printed circuit boards with fixed relays. In fact I don’t like relays. I totally believe if you wiring is adequate, and the circuit is fused correctly, you don’t need a relay. It is just something else to go wrong. Been running race cars for over 50 years and only had one relay on my car in that time period. It went bad when the mount broke and I have never had another one. Good old point to point single circuit wiring works great, holds up well and is easy to trace if you have an issue. I am sure all the relay guys are going to jump all over this but they are just extra crap you don’t need.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Most all people get more than 10 years of racing out of those style of boards. I have re wired several cars, re using those boards that were that old and havent had any issues.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate for a second to use either the DD or K&R. I have wired numerous cars with both styles over 15 years or so and haven't had 1 failure. For the price it is tough to beat either one.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Use a relay board. Either one is good. If by some chance a relay were to fail, just move the output to a different relay as a temporary fix. Relay boards can help make troubleshooting electrical problems easier as well.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Both companies are Excellent in the products & Customer Service. Whichever way you go you wont be disappointed.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a K&R in my door car great product and tech assist if needed

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think you can access the back of the DD boards. Just heat and suck the solder and replace the relay?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I have K&R in both our cars and have installed a few others, never a problem and very user friendly. I hear they have excellent customer service too but aside from ordering the kits I've never had to to deal with them otherwise lol
I wired my Nova using a Painless kit, not a fan.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post