DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    transbrake kicking off
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

transbrake kicking off
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Having an issue with trans bake kicking out after a few seconds for no reason known to me. Does it in low gear not in hi. Hi low valve body. Seems to do the same in reverse. Has to be in transmission since box knows nothing about transmission gear or what it does.It is just a signal controller.\
Checked low band adjustment first thing and seems fine. Has to be something with band or servo or so it seems.
Parts list if helps.;
Reid case
ATI pump with ringless shaft
FTI Hi/Lo valve body and transbrake
FTI servo

Any ideas welcome

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Try running a 12 guage wire from a good ground, to the trans brake solenoid. Sounds like a bad ground.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
is the solenoid plunger staying in?

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Transbrake is enclosed style can not see the plunger action like could with old pancake shorty one.

I was thinking might be ground issue too. Just the working correct in high gears makes me rethink. Seeing as first reply questioned it. I will run new ground.

Seeing ass I can hear it operate w/o car running the solenoid should be fine. Key word should.

Since not issue unless running I will have to wait for new drive system for mag and vacuum pump I am working on now to test . No reason having something simple and as easy as just buying it screw up. I will let know what I find after finish and that is parts arriving this week dependent.

While have idea may be ground as 329L suggested. Still open for any other ideas to look at.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Did you just change from the open style to the enclosed style?

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
It may have more pressure on the back side of valve while in low gear, compared to high gear. It definitely sounds like an electrical problem/ solonoid problem, more than a trans problem. try putting a better ground from solenoid to frame/battery

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Has been enclosed style for a long time, only a few runs on it.Life shyt gets in the way at times.

Did redo some wiring and may have changed ground or removed a ground from chassis to where TB is grounded. Probably is ground and amazing what you can f--- up when just straightening stuff up to look better,NLOL

Will check ground and if need move. Still will not be able to report results for cpl weeks as stated above.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Must have been ground. Rewired ground to 2 locations. I connect the pump to the cam itself w/o the drive for everything else. Fired it up and engaged TB and brought it up a few times. Stayed engaged.

Ps if doing this be sure to remove the vacuum pump hose to free up crankcase breathing or you could make a huge mess with a butt load of pressure blowing oil out everywhere. Guess how I know? Maybe should not have gotten carried away with rapping the throttle to hear how crisp the motor is with new system.LOL

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Glad it fixed it! I have seen some really dumb stuff with customers using inadequate grounds, and/or grounded to case cause issues like this. It is only going to show up when there is more pressure behind the valve, than the solenoid can push. I have seen cars that would back up just fine, and the trans brake would hold at idle, but when rpm came up, it would push through.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Must have been ground. Rewired ground to 2 locations. I connect the pump to the cam itself w/o the drive for everything else. Fired it up and engaged TB and brought it up a few times. Stayed engaged.

Ps if doing this be sure to remove the vacuum pump hose to free up crankcase breathing or you could make a huge mess with a butt load of pressure blowing oil out everywhere. Guess how I know? Maybe should not have gotten carried away with rapping the throttle to hear how crisp the motor is with new system.LOL

Glad it’s fixed but you shouldn’t have to disconnect the vacuum pump to put the engine on the chip. If it’s puking it out in the garage why wouldn’t it do the same on the race track?

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
The vacuum pump drive assembly is f--up.I broke the drive last week.So the pump is just sitting there and the crankcase had no way to evacuate the pressure, well other than the ones it made.

As most klnow3 I have very little regular pieces. I had a pulley drive off cam that had a pulley for the fuel pump on right and the vacuum pump on left. The center drive assembly broke hub. I HA repaired but would not hold. So whole new gear drive is on the mill, will be hell of lot stronger.