DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trailer Question, 53ft Gooseneck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Question, 53ft Gooseneck
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted
Friend recently purchased a 53ft Gooseneck. Neither of us have owned a trailer this long so im sorry if this is a dumb question to some. But when driving behind him this past weekend the back frame of that trailer seemed to wiggle a good bit. Is it normal for trailers this long to have the side and top frame wiggle from side to side?

Posts: 610 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I've had a 53' trailer (United Super Hauler) since 2002. Depending on terrain, I may need to persuade the ramp door to one side or another to get it to close properly, and there is often light coming through one side on top when the door is closed.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3164 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I've had a 53' trailer (United Super Hauler) since 2002. Depending on terrain, I may need to persuade the ramp door to one side or another to get it to close properly, and there is often light coming through one side on top when the door is closed.

This one seems to move about 2 inches left or right maybe 3. I guess its just normal for them being that long to flex like that.

Posts: 610 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not think either one of mine wiggle. I would check closely for cracked welds.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4037 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If its a 53 ft that is extra tall, say an extra 12 inches or more it had better flex when hitting bumps etc. If the back of a trailer that long doesn't move then it would crack and break. This is why you will see wear on the rear door frame area. The door wont move but the frame will. Its normal even on some Semi Trailers. You can even see it when trying to level the trailer, if the trailer isn't level then it will twist and you will see gaps in the rear door on the sides. If you put a camera in some of them they will scare you to where you think the back door will open LOL.

Posts: 240 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post