DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Using timing like NOS .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using timing like NOS .
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
With these boosted engins that are very responsive in small timing changes has anyone thought or tried to use timing as a finish line enhancer kinda like the guys with nitrous .

Let’s say your boosted setup likes 28 degrees max . You would then set it up to run on let’s say 24 degrees and have 4 degrees advance set up on a button to use if u need it or mess around on top end just like NOS

Posts: 40 | Location: canada | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
I COULD TELL YOU BUT THEN WOULD HAVE TO SHOOT YOU

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
You can cook a bunch of pistons with 1 degree of timing if you`re running on the ragged edge. You never throw more timing towards the end of the run. That`s something people did way back in the day.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
You can cook a bunch of pistons with 1 degree of timing if you`re running on the ragged edge. You never throw more timing towards the end of the run. That`s something people did way back in the day.

You may have misunderstood my question … in the scenario I’m explaining you would bracket race the engine in a 4 degree retarded state never ramping it back in this would slow it down say .03 . You would only put that back in manually with a button on steering wheel if you needed that extra .03 for whatever reason . The motor would never see more timing than it likes .

Posts: 40 | Location: canada | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
The car MAY get less consistent on the runs that the timing is out if you dont tune around it, but if you tune it for the low timing, it MAY hurt it when you grab the button to put the timing in it. Also, it wont make a "MOVE" like a bottle will IF that is what you are looking for.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You'll pull your hair out over consistency, using timing to go slow in the front half of the track, and fast on the back half.

Been there done that.

Better off high gear only for the same affect, consistency is at least possible with this approach.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve thought about this but havent tried it exactly like that. I have used timing like a throttle stop on a blower car to slow a couple different 4.0 cars down to 4.50 but still run big mph. Only done it a few times but consistency seemed ok. I’m usually a little worried about cooking exhaust valves but have only ever hurt exhaust valves on the edge, never like this.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
My inclination would be to use a precise boost control valve, set it to run on low boost all the time, and have more boost and the retard on the scramble button, for when you need it.

KISS

There are some no prep racers who can tell you EXACTLY how to do it. You'd be amazed how consistent those cars can be, and how easily some of them can dial their performance as needed, when needed.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
You'll pull your hair out over consistency, using timing to go slow in the front half of the track, and fast on the back half.

Been there done that.

Better off high gear only for the same affect, consistency is at least possible with this approach.

My experience as well.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
On my 582 with 250 tbs 3 lbs boost I leave full timing 31 degrees right off the line goes mid 4.50 to mid 4.40’s .
With 3 degrees retarded during same run it loses a couple of hundreds but is still consistant . I’m not looking to break into a new timezone with the scramble button just get those .02 back if I feel I need them

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I will set it up with 3 degrees on a button this summer and see how it goes . Will update at end of season .

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So set it up slow and hit a button to make it run to potential? If I am reading correctly.

This stuff is way easier with wastegates.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about how much ET a timing retard of 9 degrees for 2 seconds would make?

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
With the grid, you set up max timing. My Nova has max timing at 40 degrees at idle. I run it at 38* over 1500 rpm and pull 4* timing on the shift and 4* rpm based in high gear, cross at 34*.

It would be a couple key strokes to run it at 30-32 and have a push button or toggle to put full timing back in.

Its so easy, a cavemen could do it.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
So set it up slow and hit a button to make it run to potential? If I am reading correctly.

This stuff is way easier with wastegates.

Yeah, he didn't specify it being a roots blower.

You need a Mad Max button for that..... Laughing Hard

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I am curious how pulling timing and putting it back in and not exceeding a maximum allowable timing would hurt it ??

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post