DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Glide Clutches Destroyed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glide Clutches Destroyed
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I have built transmissions for 40 years and this is a first for me. A friend called and asked what would cause this. I had no clue.

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
arguably the best race trans builder in the country once told me that any idiot could build a glide, obviously not Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
First, I did not build it.
It was supposedly built by a pro, no idea who.

I'm just curious as to what might cause this to happen.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
didn't say you did, so don't make it about you.

lots claim to be pros few are!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I could be way off base but my guess would be accidental transbrake engagement although that usually beats up the tangs on the steels as well.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted :
arguably the best race trans builder in the country once told me that any idiot could build a glide, obviously not Laughing very hard

Useless post with no help.

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted:
didn't say you did, so don't make it about you.

lots claim to be pros few are!

Another useless post that offers no insight except an opinion that does not offer any resolution. Especially useless coming from someone that makes EVERYTHING about them.

I feel it really must be about clicks on the webpage...

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Sorry to dirty your legitimate thread, Dave. Ive just had enough BS today...

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I have built transmissions for 40 years and this is a first for me. A friend called and asked what would cause this. I had no clue.

I see a good amount of heat in the one friction & steels in the bottom left hand corner. Plus, some heat in that closest top plate.

Heat is usually the issue with the frictions breaking & the steels usually will show cracks, but never had a steel break.

This was on our drag quad.

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
trans brake applied

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:
quote:
Originally posted :

says the jerkoff that posted not 1 but Useless posts with no help!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:
quote:
Originally posted :

says the jerkoff that posted not 1 but Useless posts with no help!

Special Ed,

Calling yourself a jerkoff is hilarious! Laughing very hard FYI, as of now; YOU & Fastlane are tied at 3 useless NO HELP posts! Wink

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
David,

See why I sent PM. Although most here agree with my statement you would have just gotten more bs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4193 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
more useless posts by the broke dyck and the redneck

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
https://mastaperformance.com/pressure-plate

Not a common issue, but you might check out the above link.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 27 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Brandon, thank you for a respectful, potentially helpful post. I appreciate you taking the time to post such a note.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Brandon@BTE...KNOWS, a true Professional and gentleman who's transmissions and converter's performance on the track speaks to his knowledge, innovation, manufacturing and QC of his products.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Xd8DZBIIR3E

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, thank you for recognizing the value of Brandon's post.

I expect you believe in him, and his products referenced by the BTE logo on your Firebird.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
David,

See why I sent PM. Although most here agree with my statement you would have just gotten more bs.

Yep..

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon@BTE:
https://mastaperformance.com/pressure-plate

Not a common issue, but you might check out the above link.

Thanks Brandon.

Never would have thought clearance in the reverse pressure plate could cause this.
This is the kind of insight I was looking for.

Next question would be, should you just automatically replace the pressure plate?
What would be the specification as to clearance?
I've used case savers in the past but that was just me thinking there was to much clearance.

Thanks

Dave