DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Glide Clutches Destroyed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glide Clutches Destroyed
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
This is how they look behind turbo engines and harsh setting bump boxes. If it isnt a turbo engine, the transbrake was applied while going forward.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 711 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
This is how they look behind turbo engines and harsh setting bump boxes. If it isnt a turbo engine, the transbrake was applied while going forward.

Possible.
I didn't get any info other than asking what would cause it and the pictures. I have no idea if it was a turbo car or not. Never thought to ask. So far others have suggested the same thing.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon@BTE:
https://mastaperformance.com/pressure-plate

Not a common issue, but you might check out the above link.

Thanks Brandon.

Never would have thought clearance in the reverse pressure plate could cause this.
This is the kind of insight I was looking for.

Next question would be, should you just automatically replace the pressure plate?
What would be the specification as to clearance?
I've used case savers in the past but that was just me thinking there was to much clearance.

Thanks

Dave

https://youtu.be/_5yF6ZgGrJI

Their video explains it a little better with a good cutaway.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 28 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon@BTE:

https://youtu.be/_5yF6ZgGrJI

Their video explains it a little better with a good cutaway.

Again Thanks..

Something to add to my checks and improvements to my builds. This explains what they do well..

I appreciate your input and what you do.
Just as a FYI, I do use a lot of BTE parts in my builds.
In fact BTE is my first go to when ordering, although it is usually through Summit as I can have them next day out of Arlington if they are available.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
What other kinds of issues can happen with too much clearance there.

Back in 2018. I had a glide crack the bell housing. When pulling it apart, I found the rear bushing had worked its way forward into the tailshaft housing. The only thing I could find was that play you mention and what seemed to be abnormal wear.

https://flic.kr/p/2c3xDt2

https://flic.kr/p/PHqYF3

https://flic.kr/p/2bYgAg7

https://flic.kr/p/2bYgArN

Just curious if that could have had anything to do with it as I never figured out definitively what happened.

If memory serves me, I used one of these to take up the slack.

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/3...anti-wear-washer-kit

This message has been edited. Last edited by: banjo,

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
I had a stock reverse pressure plate break and it tore up the frictions pretty much like what your showing.
It was my own transmission, so I'm pretty sure there was no accidental TB activation while going forward.
I have since ran the supposedly stronger aftermarket pressure plates with no problems.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2038 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I go out on the sonnax web site and watch their video's on Glide builds. They of course showcase their products which I see as a lot of improvements. Here are just a couple that I use.

Their Superhold servo
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/1...super-hold-servo-kit

Stabilizer Kit
Reverse ring gear stabilizer Ring Gear Stabilizer Kit

I haven't seen the ring gear end play pressure plate that Brandon mentioned before, and wasn't aware there was a problem in that area, but you can be sure I will check all the transmissions I take care of when they come in to be freshened.

The original picture I posted was from a friend who someone else sent him. I don't even know when the destruction occurred.

Always looking to improve.

Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Covey,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Finally, someone who breaks stuff better than me. Hell I just welded them together when I screwed up reverse clutches.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4207 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Good discussion, it would be interesting to know the circumstances and the fix for the pic shown.
I've never used that Sonnax washer kit but I'm going to order one and use it on the next glide I do. Anyone else used it before and see if it makes a difference keeping the ring from rubbing?

Posts: 1471 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Good discussion, it would be interesting to know the circumstances and the fix for the pic shown.
I've never used that Sonnax washer kit but I'm going to order one and use it on the next glide I do. Anyone else used it before and see if it makes a difference keeping the ring from rubbing?

If you are talking about the ring gear stabilizer the yes I have them in 2 of my transmissions. I also use the servos. As to making a difference I can not say for sure. I do these type mods as a preventative measure. To hopefully not have issues.

Here's another neat idea they came up with.
Rear Sun Gear Bearing Kit Part No. 38208-01K

Now you can fully rollerize the glide. No thrust washers.
I have these in mine and a couple of others for my buddies. The ones I can get to spend the money to do it..lol

Dave

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Was the reverse pressure plate and retaining spring in place when disassembled? If not, my guess was the damage was after the plate was out and reverse applied.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Was the reverse pressure plate and retaining spring in place when disassembled? If not, my guess was the damage was after the plate was out and reverse applied.

I have no idea. Someone else disassembled the trans. I was just asked what would cause this to happen.

Dave

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:

I have no idea. Someone else disassembled the trans. I was just asked what would cause this to happen.

Dave

The only way that could happen is if the reverse pressure plate came loose.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
People certainly like beating a dead horse!
The answer was posted several posts ago!

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I build around 50 transmissions a year. And I normally dont see broken pressure plates. These are all transmissions that have atleast 220 psi. The FEW times i have seen this, it was determined that the person hit the transbrake while the car is still moving. And for you guys with pro brakes, this also happens when you are backing up, let off the button, and then grab the button again while the car is still moving. Reverse hits hard in a glide because the valvebody is setup for max line pressure all the time. Reverse was NEVER meant to be grabbed while moving on ANY automatic, especially a trans that has max line pressure all the time. My car goes 430s-450s and I still run a stock plate and havent broken 1 yet. (KNOCK ON WOOD...LOL)

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 711 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post