DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What is the proper way to prep the starting line?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the proper way to prep the starting line?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
I see some places heat and scrape all the rubber off each week. Then I see some leave it. Then spray VHT over it. I have seen tracks cut the glue with something-maybe methanol? Then the track is shiny black. There are some preppers that are just the best. How do you know what to cut the glue with and how much? Some people still bring a small bottle of clue to put in front of the burnout box. Eek Its definetly harder to do then it looks Smile

Posts: 1922 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It takes time and $, the commitment to provide the racers with the safest and best racing surface and started 2 weeks ago at Numidia Dragway, 6 weeks before their scheduled season opener. Further, Numidia scraps the track after EVERY race day. You won’t find many that scrap after every weekend no mind every day.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What Ed said is true. I worked as starter at SilverDollar raceway for a few years. A good starting line is a lot of work not all jet on race day. The starting area needs to be scraped after every race. If it’s a big race with a lot of cars probably more often than that. Too much rubber build up on the surface can be worse than none at all. Temperature plays a big role. As far as cutting the glue, methanol is usually what is used to help make it spray out better. Some glues cannot be cut. Lots of factors come into play and they change constantly. That’s part of why staters seem so stressed out. But like anything the best do a lot of work behind the scenes that nobody sees or knows about.

Posts: 514 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Scrapped, sweeped, washed, mopped with MEK, dragged, sprayed with traction compound then repeat after every race day.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes but who will do that? But that is the correct way to work it. Whatever you do don’t let it sit overnight if you had any kind of an oil down. If you do your work just got much much harder.

Posts: 514 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Numidia Dragway and being done right now.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Byron dragway in Illinois scrapes sprays and drags the track daily and drags in between rounds till about 4th or 5th then its round robin so no need great traction great people running it

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 426 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Good to hear there’s at least 1 other track owner in the country that has committed the time and $ to give his racers the best and safest track surface.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Some do a great job on the first half of the track but not so much on the last half.

Posts: 268 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Numidia track prep is the benchmark

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
The best in the world in track prep are right here from Denver, the Crispe twins, also known as the Traction Twins, Cale and Cody. Larry is the general track manager at bandimere and their dad. They have been all over the world doing track prep and their credentials speak for themselves. Larry is the one who invented the machine that uses reverse rotating slicks to put rubber down. Bandimere has one of if not the best track surface on race day in the world (Sorry Ed, but that's a fact). During the Nationals, they also connect up coolers to the first 300' of track to help improve bite and the keep the track temps manageable. You can call Larry at Bandimere pretty much any time and he'll help you. I know the Twins don't come cheap though, but if you want a track prepped right, they are the ones to call.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1520 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Numidia track prep is the benchmark

I'll put South Ga, Orlando and Carolina up against Numidia

NHRA 203F

Posts: 26 | Location: Bloomingdale, Ga | Registered: January 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'll take that bet, lock it in!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think at least monthly, if not at least weekly, scrapping is is very important. Putting more glue over excess rubber is an exercise in futility. Just my opinion. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1265 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
South Ga. is the best I have ever seen. Lot of fast cars run there.

Posts: 1922 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
In the southeast, Wade Rich is recognized as the best in the prep business...he now runs the show at Bradenton...

Posts: 1279 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I will second what Mark said about the Traction Twins at Bandimere. NHRA has brought them to numerous national events in other states to ensure quality track prep.

Locally here in the DFW area, Ennis is generally very good. And Galen Smith, at XRP may have the stickiest, most consistent starting line in the state. He is not shy at all about track prep, and spends a ton of both time and money to do it right. And not just the starting line, he sprays the entire track, and most of the shutdown area as well, (which most do not).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1086 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Gaylen Smith at Extreme Raceway Park is really good at track prep. He is a very good Pro mod racer and knows what he is doing.
That track has quickly become my favorite for sure.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4225 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I'll take that bet, lock it in!

Done $500...Now you just have to show up down here to see if it's true or not to win. But that wont ever happen...

NHRA 203F

Posts: 26 | Location: Bloomingdale, Ga | Registered: January 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
or you have to show up at Numidia but that won't ever happen.