New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Charger
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a 48 volt club car that has 4 12 volt batteries.
Has anybody ever put a solar charger on one of these? I’m not trying to replace my regular charger just a small solar panel ( or maybe 2) to help keep it charged. Something that will charge it while it is in use.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this setup? Any suggestions on how to do it or a certain system to use?

Posts: 405 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
Sold by the world renowned electric golf cart experts at Walmart:
solar charger

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I tried a solar charger on my trailer and later on my RV both times did not get good results.
The one on my trailer would not even keep the small battery for my security system charged.

I bought 2 large ones for my RV one for house batteries and one for Chassis battery set. One of them failed and quit charging in about 9 months. I do not know if it was panel or inverter that failed but was not impressed with durability of them.

I think the one above would be great if it works and lasts but I am not sure it will.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4032 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
Im not aware of anything that would really be effective. I can't really think of a situation where it would be needed, either, unless your batteries are near end of life.

The absolute best thing you can do is ensure it is plugged up and charging when not being ridden. I got just shy of 10 years on my 36v EZGo. Need to finally replace those. I have a 48v CC at the beach and i can pretty much ride it all day on a charge, but when I get back to the house for any amount of time it gets plugged in (even if just for 20 minutes).

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I did see a golf cart when I was in Miami. It was a 3 rower. The roof was lined with solar panels front to back. Not just screwed in but look professionally part of the roof. Thought that was a neat idea for an electric cart.

https://www.bonanza.com/listin...1gd_0lwaAhoTEALw_wcB

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I tried a solar charger on my trailer and later on my RV both times did not get good results.
The one on my trailer would not even keep the small battery for my security system charged.

I bought 2 large ones for my RV one for house batteries and one for Chassis battery set. One of them failed and quit charging in about 9 months. I do not know if it was panel or inverter that failed but was not impressed with durability of them.

I think the one above would be great if it works and lasts but I am not sure it will.

I have two panels on the race car trailer roof, one charges the race car battery, the other charges the trailer battery. They’ve been up there for about seven years now, still going strong. Had one on the roof of our old motorhome for 6 years, picked up a diesel pusher and that will get a panel too, probably a larger one. Everything else is 30 or 35 watt panels going through a battery tender solar charge controller. I’ve measured over 2 amps at the battery while charging.

For a golf cart I think you’d want the largest panel you could fit up there for it to make any difference, 4 batteries have a lot of capacity to recharge. Putting a few amps on it while you’re driving isn’t going to get much more drive time. I also might be worried about flex/vibration hurting the panel, but then again not everyone races around the motocross track with their golf carts like we do Big Grin

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post