DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    14v alternator won't last
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14v alternator won't last
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
I've been running the XS power D1400 battery and love the cranking power. I have been trying to get an alternator to last and just can't seem to get one. I've been sending my alternator back to powermaster off and on for a couple years. I had it rebuilt (again) last fall. I put it on and the voltage was set wrong, when I tried to adjust it it had either nothing or 19v. I send it back and they fixed the issue. I put it back on and went to the track the same day. It worked the 4 passes I made at testing and thought we had it. Unloaded the car the next day and battery was about 1/2 dead. I put it on the hoist and found the alternator was warm and had a slight humming that kicked off and on. I sent it back again and they said nothing was wrong but went through it again to triple check it. I put it on and I started it several times and it seemed to worked as it should. 1st weekend at the track and on the 8th pass it just quit charging. I'm lost to what can be going on, have put all new cables and followed their instructions completely. It has an adjustable regulator so I'm not sure if that is the issue or some other freak thing. Powermaster is the only one I can find that makes an alternator to charge at 16.5-16.8v. My battery is almost 5 years old but still holds 14.8 volts and cranks over like it has no plugs in it. I had it tested locally and they say it only has 390 cold cranking amps but the battery isn't rated in cold cranking amps. The only thing that hasn't been changed is the battery but I don't see how a battery can hurt the alternator, especially in less than 10 passes.

Any ideas on what could cause this, is the adjustable regulator just a POS? Anyone here running the powermaster adjustable regulator?

Thought about going 16v but charging at 18.5-19v scares me on the electronics but really don't like the idea of going back to 12v either.

Thanks for any insight.

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The XSpower d3400 is a 12 volt with more amps, cranking camps, and cold cranking amps than the d1400 14v

Went with a “tuff stuff” alternator on the new build

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I talked to them about that battery today and they say the higher the voltage the lower the cranking amps. Also said the 1400 would still crank the engine faster than the 12. I'm sure the 12 is plenty I just really like the way it cranks over with 14 but really tired of fighting it.

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I talked to them about that battery today and they say the higher the voltage the lower the cranking amps. Also said the 1400 would still crank the engine faster than the 12. I'm sure the 12 is plenty I just really like the way it cranks over with 14 but really tired of fighting it.

It will crank it over faster but less reserve capacity. If everything like alternator is working right you will not have any issues. On last car I built I went back to 12 volt system. My other car still has the 16 volt system but I went with 2 batteries on it and a good alternator.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What's your alternator pulley ratio and what rpm window is the engine turning going down track?

Posts: 478 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
5"engine pulley 2.5 alternator pulley 7500 engine rpm. They say 18000 is the max and mine is 15,000.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
I’d give House of Payne performance a shout. Good Morning

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 606 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Frizie:
I’d give House of Payne performance a shout. Good Morning

Ditto. Call HOP.

Posts: 142 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If possible I would get rid of the adjustable voltage regulator. My 16 Powermaster regulator failed a year or so after I bought it and I went to fixed 16 volt regulator and never looked back. Zero issues with electronics.

Posts: 2595 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You run 16 Volt with alternator? How long have you been running that setup? You run a logger ?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
I run the XPS Power D1600 with the House of Payne super mini 16 volt alternator.

I see over 18 Volts at all times on my RacePak in my bracket s10 with the electric fuel pump, water pump, electric fan, PowerGrid, and RacePak accessories.

The same battery has been in the s10 for over 5 years now.

The Rock battery charger is optional even when double entered.

Posts: 123 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have run 16V XS batteries and alternators for years with no issue. My current truck and 64 Plymouth both have 16V XS and alternators.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1018 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like HOP has an adjustable alternator, I haven't been able talk with them on durability between adjustable and std regulators yet. If they feel the std is more durable I'll probably go 16v and move on.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think for 500+ BBC with over 12-1 a 16v system is a wise choice. Don’t put one of those Wimpy a$$ 75 amp alternators on it. Put a 125+ amp alternator on it with a 2 gauge wire and you need to see 18v+ at idle minimum always. Then leave that battery tender in the trailer where it won’t get towed to the staging lanes or wet.

mem....I never battery charge at the track…. NEVER!!!

Posts: 2610 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You run 16 Volt with alternator? How long have you been running that setup? You run a logger ?

I have been doing it for at least 5 years and no I don’t run a logger. I do only run a 55 amp one because that’s all I could fit in the space I had.

Posts: 2595 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
5"engine pulley 2.5 alternator pulley 7500 engine rpm. They say 18000 is the max and mine is 15,000.

I think you're spinning it too fast, it'd be a cheap experiment to get that Moroso large alternator pulley.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just talked to the guy at HOP and he says the adjustable regulator is a giant POS so looks like I'm going 16v.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When I called Powermaster they said the Street Alternator I use (47293) will safely spin to 18,000 max. They also said that the idle rating of their alternator is checked at 2200- 2400 alternator speed.

2-1 pulleys are an excellent choice for a drag car imho. My car idles 1300 and alternator outputs 100 amps at idle. Look for something that outputs more at idle where you need it most.

Posts: 2610 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I FOUGHT SAME EXACT ISSUES WITH THE ADJUSTABLE REGULATOR!!! Had a local shop rebuild it with a non adjustable regulator and have not had an issue since. I run a d1600 battery and powermaster alternator. Been 2 years on the same rebuilt powermaster. Before that, i was buying a new alternator EVERY year.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 728 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Call Mark at House of Payne Performance. He will get you fixed up.

Posts: 4 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post