DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Draining a bbc for winter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Draining a bbc for winter
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
I got tired of pulling the threaded plugs out of the bottom of the block for winter storage in my unheated garage because the gush of water was a mess. Many years ago I went to pet****s and they did okay except that the wing part eventually just spins and I have to unscrew them. An elbow will fit and I thought about using some 3/8 heater hose to run to a ball valve. If you drain yours during the freezing months, how do you manage it?

Posts: 465 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use to drain mine at the last race of the year at track……

Posts: 1271 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Same here

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A better mousetrap….

I’ve used this style but I think I bought them at my local NAPA…

Posts: 192 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I use an AN number 6 elbow and a cap. Just take the cap off and it drains into a bucket.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5328 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I use an AN number 6 elbow and a cap. Just take the cap off and it drains into a bucket.

Rhats a great idea.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I also need to drain but this is my first yr with a alum block I dont have any drains above the oil pan rail how can I get all my water out?

Posts: 418 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Solved my winter draining issue by moving back to Florida. It's so Hot Seriously though, I used the #6an with a cap. Drain at the track on last race of the year and your good to go.

Posts: 701 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
BB or SB doesn't matter it's really a pain when you have a diaper. Maybe the AN fitting with a short line with a cap.

Posts: 1519 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camaro77:
I also need to drain but this is my first yr with a alum block I dont have any drains above the oil pan rail how can I get all my water out?

I just pull a threaded freeze plug out on each side of the block to drain but my block is also filled with grout to the bottom of the plug. If yours isnt then either leave the plugs out all winter so there is some expansion if it does freeze or rig something up with a shop vac and small hose to suck the remaining water out

Posts: 2511 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the radiator. I lost a radiator one year, even though it was drained there was still enough to crack it. Now I just remove it and put in the basement.

Cool

Posts: 622 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use 50/50 antifreeze after draining at end of season. Circulate it and park it. Good for -35. In spring, drain it and put it back in the jug and fill with water. A little bit of anti-freeze is left but there is zero rust. When you park your race engine where temps can hit -30 I don't want any regular water in anything. It is in a heated garage but I am not there, if the furnace fails I do not want to be looking for a block in May. For $15.00 it is the safest way IMO.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jok on this one. Over the years I've seen several busted heads and blocks that were "drained".

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use 50/50 antifreeze after draining at end of season. Circulate it and park it. Good for -35. In spring, drain it and put it back in the jug and fill with water. A little bit of anti-freeze is left but there is zero rust. When you park your race engine where temps can hit -30 I don't want any regular water in anything. It is in a heated garage but I am not there, if the furnace fails I do not want to be looking for a block in May. For $15.00 it is the safest way IMO.

quote:
I'm with Jok on this one. Over the years I've seen several busted heads and blocks that were "drained".

Yup ........ I'm an anti freeze guy myself Big Grin

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:

quote:

Yup ........ I'm an anti freeze guy myself Big Grin

x4. Drain the radiator, then fill with 2-3 gallons of pure antifreeze and circulate for a while.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3197 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
A better mousetrap….

I’ve used this style but I think I bought them at my local NAPA…

I'm ordering these now. The pet****s in my block are junk light material like what's on a radiator. Now that the motor is all the way out its time to see if they break!

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
I’m with the antifreeze gang, its cheap and foolproof, can be drained and used again each season, essentially lasting forever. It also minimizes to virtually eliminates any corrosion development.

I would use caution on using pure antifreeze though, believe it or not, 50/50 is much safer than pure (-34º vs ~-5º).

The trace amounts left in the system when going back to racing is of non-issue and probably helps……

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Drain all the water, then a gallon of RV antifreeze into the thermostat housing to protect the bottom of the block. Flush it out in the spring and ready to go.

Posts: 108 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Like mentioned above, it's kind of a PIA with a diaper and I have one. An elbow and cap sounds like a possibility. I put a brass elbow in and it points right at the pan because of the angle of the block.

Posts: 465 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer in putting at least 50-50 antifreeze back in the motor. Helps stop rust in the head bolt holes etc.

Posts: 1922 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post