DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    434" SBC camshaft info
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

434" SBC camshaft info
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Anyone have a good "conection" with a camshaft mfg. I called two and got almost opposite ideas.
It is for my new 434", 230 Dart heads, 13:1, 4" stroke and 6.00" rod. Alky carb.

My first big, little Chevy. Thanks for any advice.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
Jok, I've had great success dealing with Tommy Kirk who owns Custom Cams. His product has been spot on performance wise and is easy on valve train. Give him a call 662-534-4881

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jok, consider Mike Jones Cams, you will find him on Don Terrell's speed talk or Jones cams website. The last three engine I built had his cams and all performed as expected.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Jok is this engine for old red or new nobox red? Id go for around 280-282 at .050 int. and 286 at .50 ex. 108 l/c advance it 4* should get ya there

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 410 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Anyone have a good "conection" with a camshaft mfg. I called two and got almost opposite ideas.
It is for my new 434", 230 Dart heads, 13:1, 4" stroke and 6.00" rod. Alky carb.

My first big, little Chevy. Thanks for any advice.

Jok

I don't know what your goals are for the motor. We raced two different 434" combos, both were high 9 sec. 1/4, low 6 sec. 1/8 cars. Both were run on race gas & one on E85 for 2 or 3 years. They're not rpm motors, the one made peak power at 6500 & the other at 6000.

If you got any questions on the specifics, I'll be happy to share.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Bullet or Isky

I used to be a Lunati fan, but they've got everything fubar'd now.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input. I called Jones Cams and the guy was awesome. Seemed to really go into details on what I wanted to do with it.
He said the converter I had will be on the loose side, probably, but he would send me cam specs today. He actually contacted me the same day I sent the info in.
VETMAN- the 434" goes into whatever trucks hurts an engine first. My 406" has been superb for three seasons and 640 runs and the 377 is an older Livingston small block with good parts, little M, bushed lifters, etc but old is old...we will know in May. Did sound pretty nice on the dyno though ;0) 598 HP and still climbing when I had him shut it off at 7200.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I needed to replace a cam. I called most all of the major manufacturers to get recommendations and the answers I got was interesting. Some just gave me a generic type cam recommendation, one of the bigger companies asked 2 questions. Big block or small block, dirt track or Drag? Here is cam you need. They did NOT ask heads, gear, transmission, 1/8 mile or 1/4, cubic inches or even what I wanted to get from it. TWO questions about my combination and thinks he can get a good cam.
Then I called Bullet, I think I talked to Curt??? but any way he asked a whole bunch of questions. Then he gave me some options and told me the advantages of each. From then on I run Bullet exclusively.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4024 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Jok

When I built my SBC a few years ago, I figured to just go with what somebody spent a lot of time figuring out. I bought the cam from Reher-Morrison they used in their Super 406. It's in my 421 and runs well. They have a bigger one for their bigger SBC's, it's on website as well.

Scott

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Luvtruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Thanks guys for the input. I called Jones Cams and the guy was awesome. Seemed to really go into details on what I wanted to do with it.
He said the converter I had will be on the loose side, probably, but he would send me cam specs today. He actually contacted me the same day I sent the info in.
VETMAN- the 434" goes into whatever trucks hurts an engine first. My 406" has been superb for three seasons and 640 runs and the 377 is an older Livingston small block with good parts, little M, bushed lifters, etc but old is old...we will know in May. Did sound pretty nice on the dyno though ;0) 598 HP and still climbing when I had him shut it off at 7200.

You will not be disappointed! Mike did the cam in my 436 and I've run a best of 5.56 @ 2650lbs

Posts: 242 | Location: Vanceboro NC | Registered: February 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post