DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Sbc 383 solid roller cam recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sbc 383 solid roller cam recommendations
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hi guys.. Happy new year. Building a 5.7 rod 11.1 compression 383 for my cousins derby car. Heads are unported dart iron eagle platinum 200cc with 64cc chambers. Rockers are not bought yet so ratio is open. I already have a new set of crower solid roller lifters from my drag racing days. Intake will be an edelbrock performer rpm air gap. Carb will mainly be a 500cfm rochester on 110 race gas and at few shows rules permitting will be a 750cfm willys alcohol carb. Wanting 2 keep rpm to a max of 6500-6800rpm. Looking for a solid roller cam recommendation with the emphasis on big torque. I have contacted a few of the big cam companies for recommendations. Their recommendations are quite a bit bigger than what I feel is acceptable for this build. The torque converter will be built for the chosen cam. I would greatly appreciate the input of others before I make a decision. Yes I know this is way overkill for a derby engine but customer gets what they want. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 9 | Location: illinois | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike how does that cam idle?

Posts: 9 | Location: illinois | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eigthmile:
Mike how does that cam idle?

Kirk at Bullet said it makes a lot of racket. Haven't fired it yet. It's a pump gas 406 for a 66 Chevy II, we're gonna Saturday night thunder the local street race locations with a cheater plate.

This is the transmission I just did for it. This is a nice car lots of good pieces, I feel sorry for street racer who bites on this car.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
To be honest Mike you’ve grown me.i thought you were a blow hard ex drunk but you got knowledge

Posts: 185 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP310G:
To be honest Mike you’ve grown me.i thought you were a blow hard ex drunk but you got knowledge

Objectivity found through rational thought is a western and masculine concept.

We can chalk one up for the hope of the survival of western civilization, with this post.

Not to toot my own horn, but I can assure ya, you won't dip in the 5's 1/8 mile n/a sbc with a set of out of the box brodix T 1 heads at 3250 lbs, on a 10 x 28 bias tire without a fair amount drag racing skills, picking out the combo of parts in play, bolting engine & trans together yourself or otherwise, without a little knowledge.

Look around, nobody's doing it. I've been looking, I can't find anyone. An old friend of mine I knew when he was at Comp, then Lunati, then Bullet, did send me a bad ass Bullet stick he and Kirk worked on a week before the recommendation. Which made it look easy.

Kirk at Bullet is the guy to talk to about a camshaft, demo derby to drag race, and everything in between. Nice guy too.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. Back when I was drag racing I used Mr. Harold Brookshire. I will definitely give bullet a call.