New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axle question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Looking at axles for my new project. Gun drill and lightened flanges are options available. Question is, is it worth the upgrade in price to save what will likely be less than four pounds total between the two axles. Car is a back half 77 camaro with a ford nine inch. Car will probably weigh around 3000/3100# on track. Power is a 625 horse sbc/power glide that will see mostly brackets and maybe later on some super street racing. The possibility of a big block is not out of the question later on down the road.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree....save your nickles on this one and put it towards other items.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes but light weight axles don’t make sense performance wise no mind financial sense if you have a steel 3rd member.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I plan on using a aluminum thru bolt carrier. Leaning toward 40 spline axles. Just not sure if the somewhat lighter axles are going to provide much benefit. Car is being built to look like a super stocker more than the normal metal interior in a bracket car. Will be mostly steel. Only fiberglass planned for is hood trunk lid and bumpers. Car will keep all lights functioning and roll up windows in the doors.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Opt for the aluminum spool too then it’s worth it and get it all from Mark Williams

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For a car of his weight and horsepower level you can use MW, Strange or Moser. All will work fine.

Price them all out and make your decision. Each of them know what they are doing. MW is a step above on quality but for what you are doing you will never notice. If you want MW go for it. It is your coin.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not only is Mark Williams the benchmark due to their engineering and quality but he will notice it rolls easier too.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Strange Pro Race 35 spline drag racing axles with big studs for sale. Factory Length cut 1969 Nova Ford 9.

What length axle you need Wooley? I'm switch to a deep dish wheel, I gotta cut the rearend and get shorter axles.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer mike, but I don’t know yet what length the axles will be. The guy at the chassis shop said it will be a couple months before he can even get my car in.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Thanks for the offer mike, but I don’t know yet what length the axles will be. The guy at the chassis shop said it will be a couple months before he can even get my car in.

Yes sir. Do you know Franky Bishup with the red Nova from Georgia? Ya might talk with him too, he's got a line on a helluva chassis builder doing his Nova. I don't think the guy is well publicized, but the work he's doing on Franky car is out of the world nice.

I think Franky races Silver Dollar & SGMP home tracks.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
FYI....if you want drilled axles from Strange they will have to be 40 spline. Drilled 35s are not an option at the length you need.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes I know Frankie Bishop, have seen him at the tracks for years. His nova is a good race car and he’s pretty good at driving it too. Silver dollar is my home track now. I hit sgmp and us-19 in Albany some too. He runs at all of them. Chassis shop I’m using is in town where I live he doesn’t get any publicity but does excellent work. Over thirty years building cars, everything from bracket beaters to top sportsman cars. All very well built and works well.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bry-war, yes I have talked to strange and mark williams. Both recommended the same thing almost. Both offered the lightened axles but said what someone else said that it’s probably not much needed in my case. Btw those phone calls came after I started this discussion.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
If you are in need of a housing I have one out of my 68 it is a 9" with 4 link brackets etc and strange 40 spline gun drilled axles with 5/8 studs .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks 68, I’ve already bought a housing and Wayne will fit it to the car when he gets it into the shop