DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Another to keep your eye on with those fancy trailer wheels
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another to keep your eye on with those fancy trailer wheels
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had disc brakes on my stacker, they used a 12V hydraulic pump and was testing for Axis-Alco (Now part of Dexter_. Worked perfect and if I ever get a big trailer again (never going to happen by the way) I would get the disc brake option. Just an idea that might help some Class A coaches stop a lot better.
My input was just about safety for you guys, nothing personal. Please check you wheels often, it's easy, coats nothing and can save a disaster on the way to the races.
Racing is slowing down bit, think about upgrades that woud make your travel safer, less stressful and I hope we meet at an event next year!!
Jok at TrailerToad.com

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Look inside and out. Always check for cracks

Y'all don't understand,,,,, Pigley doesn't believe this is a trailer axle. Therefor, end of story

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
What trailer is this with disc brakes?

quote:
Not have I on any car trailer with “fancy aluminum wheels” because it ain’t ever happened!

Again, the photo above is not a car trailer, fake news!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
The back story . Not a trailer wheel, Ed wins ! Try Google image search sometime LMAO https://www.truckcamperadventu...ight-wheels-matters/

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Doesn't have to be a car trailer to break off. Like i stated, it was sent to me. I figured an RV.

Hows this>>> Any Weight/rolling/carrying road worthy/Mountain climbing/coal rolling.

Check you Shyt....

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
looks the a chevy truck rear

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
2013 Ram 3500 with a truck camper and the aftermarket he wheel failed because it was overloaded!!

End of story! FAKE News! Haters gonna Hate and 1320racer wins AGAIN!

All with "those fancy trailer wheels" have nothing to worry about. Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
#1 Loser B!tch, wearing MONKEY SEE....MONKEY DO....T/F Wanna-Be Headset Wearing Crew Chief.

Calls Fake News, when he's Fake Newser himself, wait for it...... BlahBlah NahNahTounge

2BKing Cool

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2544 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Any enclosed car trailer that isn't a bargain basement el cheapo trailer is going to have Dexter torsion axles. It's really clear that is a pickup truck leaf spring suspension.

That said, a buddy of mine had disc brakes added to his 2009/2010 Pace Shadow GT gooseneck trailer when he ordered it. I remember him saying he did have some troubles early on with the brake controller working properly with the hydraulic pump that runs the brakes, but eventually got it sorted out. He claims the braking power is night and day compared to the drums and would never have a trailer without them.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Most good quality trailers and stackers are leaf springs. Most stackers have disk brakes. I'm not going to speculate the vehicle/axle in the pic, but everything in that pic "could" be from a trailer. the only sketchy thing that caught my eye was how the brake hose seemed to go under the spring. Thats not common because the axles are on top of the springs on trailers.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My two cents about all AL wheels!

Too many wheel designers out (Artists) there armed with a CAD program in their hands that have no idea how to design a wheel to take the application loads without breaking.

Perfect example is the issue Spin Works had with their rear drag wheels!

Just because it may look cool doesn't mean it's a good wheel design!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
Most stackers have disk brakes.

Not true. Disc brakes are an opinion on the high end trailers like those built by T&E and Goldrush and even then many don't chose that option.

Regardless, this thread isn't about brakes. It is about an aftermarket wheel on a 1 ton pickup truck that broke due to being overloaded according to the owner but I say there's more to it...the fact that the tire(s) on this truck/wheel is an off road tire tells me that this truck with and/or without the camper went off road regularly which this wheel wasn't designed or intended for has as much to due to the failure if not more than overloading it.

Again, this thread is fake news and has nothing to due with "fancy trailer wheels"

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
#1 Loser B!tch, wearing MONKEY SEE....MONKEY DO....T/F Wanna-Be Headset Wearing Crew Chief.

Calls Fake News, when he's Fake Newser himself, wait for it...... BlahBlah NahNahTounge

2BKing Cool

LoL!!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
My two cents about all AL wheels!

Too many wheel designers out (Artists) there armed with a CAD program in their hands that have no idea how to design a wheel to take the application loads without breaking.

Perfect example is the issue Spin Works had with their rear drag wheels!

Just because it may look cool doesn't mean it's a good wheel design!

Yes sir Exactly Like this. This day and age you don't know who actually is the producer of the
wheels. Unless it clearly states "Made in the USA" on it. not "Made with USA components

You know what they say.. Out of sight, out of mind. Like my truck stud installer/remover
Made in Germany.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
even when they are made in the USA, they break as have 3 sets of Weld Magnum front wheels on my Firebird

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
even when they are made in the USA, they break as have 3 sets of Weld Magnum front wheels on my Firebird

Proof that the SFI system is largely flawed, a 15.2 SFI wheel that cannot withstand its intended application. I will grant you that your car is heavier and wheelies higher than most but those rims have a history of failing.

Any part that failed on my car (besides the driver) more than once in such a critical application would never be purchased again.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
FAKE News!

1320racer wins AGAIN!

You got that right, it’s fake news because Piggles the Clown ain’t ever won shyt in a race car so keeps trying to win the internet.

Put the top fuel wannabe crew chief headset back on and go pick up the polishing towel Big Grin

Power Tool

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NortonRacing:
quote:

Proof that the SFI system is largely flawed, a 15.2 SFI wheel that cannot withstand its intended application. I will grant you that your car is heavier and wheelies higher than most but those rims have a history of failing.

Any part that failed on my car (besides the driver) more than once in such a critical application would never be purchased again.

SFI!!!!!! Killin me smalls!

That wheel is another prefect example of what I stated above! It was designed for looks and its structural design is awful! That combined with the key portions of the wheel being too small is a 1 - 2 punch it can't survive.

Ed, I don't remember if you are still using that wheel but if you are its gonna bite you! I know you give your cars the maintenance they require but that's not going to guarantee you will catch the next one before it lets go on a run, especially if its during braking before the stripe! Too much money to wreck a car because of those wheels that have already let you know 3 times to get rid of them for your application.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This article is not FAKE NEWS, it is a good 'safety Alert" for guys to make sure they check their aluminum wheels; I don;t care if they are on trailers, trucks, RVs or whatever. As far as that goes, check the steel wheels too. I have seen customers steel wheels that crack on the first inner radius from the bead seat.
Is it common, no. Is it a reality there is a chance of failure? Absolutely. I hope it never happens to anyone but "hoping" doesn't cut it.

Be safe first, no surprises is better!

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why did it take you 3 sets to learn...or are you still using them because all the big name racers you worship use 'em?

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post