DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wilwood brake pad
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilwood brake pad
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted
Need recommendations on a Wilwood brake pad. Single caliper. Current pad has DK stamped on it. Don’t see that pad material. Application is 2500lbs TS car running 180 plus.

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t run 150 with wilwood brakes no mind 180+ Eek

Had those calipers on my Chevelle and the OEM disc brakes stopped better.

You don't know how bad your brakes are till you replace them with Mark Williams. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would look to go with a Hawk pad on those Wilwood brakes. They have a parts finder on the website and a lot of info on pads.

https://www.hawkperformance.com/

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, I used Hawk pads with this caliper and it destroyed my wilwood rotors in less than a season, besides turning my polished wheels black.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not sure if they have what you need but TBM pads and brakes are as good as anything I have used so far... it

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1521 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ran Wilwood brakes with Hawk pads on my Cuda for YEARS. Never had any issues at all with them. Never replaced a rotor either and as far as I know still the same ones on the car. There are definitely better brakes out there but they fit my needs of going 160+ in a 2975lb S/St car using plenty of brake racing.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My Chevelle was a little heavier than your S/ST Cuda, weighing 3880 lbs. and the rotors blued and warped before the season was over. Ran those pads for 2 seasons, wiping out 3 pairs of rotors before I said enough and changed to a different pad.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wait so are we to understand you blued rotors and used worn pads on new rotors or just same pads but new but also sounds like Chevelle was a tank at 3900lbs.

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
New rotors and new pads. My Chevelle was a bad azz ride, a true street car, all steel, full factory interior and triple chrome plated bumpers too. Laughing Hard

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...vKM&feature=youtu.be

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
New rotors and new pads. My Chevelle was a bad azz ride, a true street car, all steel, full factory interior and triple chrome plated bumpers too. Laughing Hard

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...vKM&feature=youtu.be

NOC

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Damn so it was a fast tank and another car with triple chrome plated bumpers

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Power brakes and power steering too. Big Grin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You definitely were pushing more tonnage around. My old heap was not really heavy for sure. Went 170+ all out and worked fine. But clearly not trying to stop two tons either. But then again I did have triple chrome plated bumpers either, hell didn't even have a front one at all

Marcus Tullius Cicero

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I was raised in a Mennonite community in Eastern Pennsylvania, fast tractors ZERO chrome.

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by suprodn:
Need recommendations on a Wilwood brake pad. Single caliper. Current pad has DK stamped on it. Don’t see that pad material. Application is 2500lbs TS car running 180 plus.

It's been several years ago, but I ran the Hawk "DR" pads, the DR stood for Drag Race. The pads worked ok in my application and I didn't notice any more wear to my rotors than the Wilwood pads. FWIW, I was running the 4 piston calipers at 140mph.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with hawk black pads. Dragster runs right around 180 and our door car is 2700lbs and goes 145ish so not exactly what you have.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 469 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
They do make different pads and rotors for a reason. The pads and the rotors need to be matched with each other and for the speeds and the weight you run. I do not even remember what pads I have on my Dragster but they work very well and do not put out much black dust so I ordered a few spare sets and keep them in my trailer.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One other thing if you are having brake problems seems who ever you talk to wants to say it is not their pads or rotors the problem you have wrong master cylinder, wrong pedal ratio or anything but their fault.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There’s no dancing around the fact that wilwood brakes for drag racing SUCK! They are entry level at best and no comparison to Strange brakes no mind Mark Williams.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I will add to this....and I am sure stir some emotions...

Have two cars chevelle and Corvette that run 144 and 159MPH respectively. Both with Wilwood brakes.

The chevelle at near 4000lbs Wilwood front disks and stock rear drums can stop as good as my duramax at 50mph without a single fear of not slowing in a very controlled manner. In fact, I usually hit them in a light manner for a few seconds and then coast and then again in a light manner repeat till I am easily able to navigate the end of the track. On the street at 60mph the brakes are perfect like your normal daily driver.

The corvette 3330lbs has Wilwood all around and while I do not have any problems stopping they are nowhere near as good as the chevelle. I contribute this to the low 3.5 pedal ratio. I actually just ordered a new gage to determine the pressure in the system which I believe is most peoples problem - including my own that complain about brake performance.

To add more stir I called Mark Williams about a month ago when thinking about moving to their calipers. They don't have a setup for a corvette which isn't a big deal since I have access to be able to machine anything I need install them. I speaking with MW, the guy said I would NOT see any appreciable difference over Wilwood calipers and I was likely dealing with my suspected pedal ratio, master cylinder combo. He did say that theirs are beefier but any aftermarket caliper such as Wilwood should be more than adequate. Which I thought was pretty good of him.

Now I am picky with brakes and the corvette has gone from going 130s to 150s and I race some short shutdown tracks. In no case is it unsafe, or do I need to pull the chute to safely stop. Just feel they could be better - like the chevelle.

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post