DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wilwood brake pad
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilwood brake pad
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I will add to this....and I am sure stir some emotions...

You won’t find MPR, B&B, East Texas Race Cars, Tim McAmis, Stroupe, Elite, American, Miller, Racetech, Dan Page, GM, Ford, Chrysler factory race cars or any other professional chassis builder that I am aware of that would install Wilwood brakes in their cars. The only cars you’ll find them on is street/strip cars and home built junk!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Ken MacNicol
posted Hide Post
I am a proud owner of home built junk.

Posts: 38 | Location: Hendersonville, Tenn. | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
clapping

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Damn so it was a fast tank and another car with triple chrome plated bumpers

Lol. Triple Chrome plated bumpers and Full factory interiors, both obviously required for bracket racing!

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I will add to this....and I am sure stir some emotions...

You won’t find MPR, B&B, East Texas Race Cars, Tim McAmis, Stroupe, Elite, American, Miller, Racetech, Dan Page, GM, Ford, Chrysler factory race cars or any other professional chassis builder that I am aware of that would install Wilwood brakes in their cars. The only cars you’ll find them on is street/strip cars and home built junk!

No One Cares

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4473 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
about what you have to say

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
yeah right....that's it.. Laughing Hard

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4473 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No doubt about it!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What a TOOL.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Our Racetech came with Wilwoods..Just sayin, went 7.30's in Vegas that way before I put Strange stuff on it. Just bought a Diamond and it has dual Strange calipers on it.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, new from Racetech? and you swapped to Strange why?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
OP asked for a Wilwood pad recommendation.. and here we are...

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yep here we are.

With advice comes enlightenment based on experience. Otherwise it’s just baseless opinion founded in hearsay, rumor and myth.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wilwood brakes are just fine for many bracket applications. They are ubiquitous at events and will continue to be used successfully by many a winning bracket racer. There are finer systems available but there is nothing wrong with Wilwood brakes in the proper application. Mine can nose dive my car in the lights no problem albeit slower bracket car (6.20s 3100#'s). If I was going to run TS as the OP suggested is the goal I would probably definitely want an upgrade to a Strange or MW. As with many things in racing there are levels of engineering and manufacturing quality vs cost to be considered. Would I love a set of top of the line brakes, sure who wouldn't. I would like a Sonny Bryant crankshaft, an all aluminum block and a host of other items that I cannot justify spending on my budget. I and MOST on here race on a budget. I try to use that budget wisely. I spent 1000 bucks on BAM lifters where I could have spent 450 on a set that would work. I made that choice for a reason and considered the options. My car came with the wilwoods on it and it stops great. I have driven cars with Strange and MW brakes and they worked great also but I and MANY others don't need them. The OP MAY indeed be wise to invest in them.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wilwood brakes are just fine for many bracket applications. They are ubiquitous at events and will continue to be used successfully by many a winning bracket racer. There are finer systems available but there is nothing wrong with Wilwood brakes in the proper application. Mine can nose dive my car in the lights no problem albeit slower bracket car (6.20s 3100#'s). If I was going to run TS as the OP suggested is the goal I would probably definitely want an upgrade to a Strange or MW. As with many things in racing there are levels of engineering and manufacturing quality vs cost to be considered. Would I love a set of top of the line brakes, sure who wouldn't. I would like a Sonny Bryant crankshaft, an all aluminum block and a host of other items that I cannot justify spending on my budget. I and MOST on here race on a budget. I try to use that budget wisely. I spent 1000 bucks on BAM lifters where I could have spent 450 on a set that would work. I made that choice for a reason and considered the options. My car came with the wilwoods on it and it stops great. I have driven cars with Strange and MW brakes and they worked great also but I and MANY others don't need them. The OP MAY indeed be wise to invest in them.

Well put and I couldn't agree more !!!

I had Mark Williams on all four corners of my Nova. Yes they were great brakes !!! I speced the right parts and used the correct plumbing and master cylinder bore and was rewarded with great brakes. I have 4 wheel Strange on the Firebird. Hard to believe but they too are awesome brakes. Plumbed correctly with the correct master. The new truck has a combination of front Wilwood and rear Strange. I did this for a reason and imagine my surprise when the brakes work awesome !!!

The devil is in the details ............

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Most all brakes for racecars are very similar design with the exception of TBM. I believe they use a steel center section which I think should help eliminate flex and make a better brake. If I was looking into a new set of brakes I would consider the TBM brakes.
I will not ever run Aerospace Components brakes again, had them on one car and was less than impressed.

I have Wilwood on my dragster and those brakes work quite well. They stop as good as anything and the pads last fairly well and do not put a lot of dust on my wheels. Not sure what brakes pads I have on there but I bought several extra sets of them because they worked so good.

My East Texas Chassis Altered has Strange on all four corners and it stops good.

Unless I have a problem with them which I have not to date I will not be changing them on either car.

Also I think part of the problem with many is the brackets are too weak or not perfectly straight. The brackets is NOT the place to save weight if you want to stop good and have brakes that last.

One other thing the brakes on the new Corvettes are probably way better than anything we are using but they are for huge rotors and wheels.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, I couldn’t disagree more!!!

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
My old dragster had Aerospace calipers on it that I got for $20 for the pair at a swap meet. New seals and pistons, pads, they stopped very well. Sold that car to my buddy, he put a blown bbc on it and ran 200+. Same brakes, never had to pull the chutes. My current car came with Mark Williams already. All I can say is having support locally, which Mark Williams is, is worth a lot. But otherwise, car stops...that's all I care about.

And just flushed the brake system and put in new fluid, DOT 5.5 high temp....it needed it too....old stuff was pretty nasty.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1479 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post