DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Drag Radial Rims...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drag Radial Rims...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I would break down the old tires and clean the wheel's at the bead really good. I've used a scotchbrite on a die grinder to clean up the bead and smooth off where the screws were. I don't see any reason why those holes would cause a problem Many running wheels with the holes and no screws.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
FWIW my street car has drilled wheels on it from the old days. I switched it to a drag radial years and years ago and they hold air just fine. I don't glue them either, they typically move maybe 1.5-2" after initial install and a couple of hits. It aint fast but has been high 9's on pump swill this way.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I drilled and tapped the existing holes for 5/16-18 and used black oxide, low head, allen cap screws 3/4" long.

Had to trim them down to a little less than 1/4" thread length. It looks better than open holes to me.

Posts: 6 | Location: Blanco Tx | Registered: April 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
FWIW my street car has drilled wheels on it from the old days. I switched it to a drag radial years and years ago and they hold air just fine. I don't glue them either, they typically move maybe 1.5-2" after initial install and a couple of hits. It aint fast but has been high 9's on pump swill this way.

On my cars I swap the tires side to side for the first two weeks when they are new. They move a little bit each way, but usually after 10 passes or so they never move again. I mark them so I can see. Fast car moves up to 2 inches, slow car barely moves at all. After that it is every 25 or so passes, helps them wear more even and last longer. Regular bias ply slicks.

Now, some of these new radial tires can't be swapped side to side, they have to be dismounted to swap them. That makes it a big hassle, not worth it to me to deal with.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post