DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trans brake rev limiter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trans brake rev limiter?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I would like to use the trans brake button for its rev limiter on my high-gear burn outs.... Ok to do or DO NOT!!

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't see why not. with a pro brake

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Didn’t you ask this question before? Someone did.

The responses then were that the two step RPM is too low to do a good burnout. You need to get it up above converter stall.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Why not just wire a burn out button or better yet just use your foot?

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Just me but I would not do it, sounds to me like a potential problem not worth risking.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
...the two step RPM is too low to do a good burnout. You need to get it up above converter stall.

Correct.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn’t you ask this question before?

Clearly he didn't like the answers the first time.

Electronically and mechanically it will work. Id recommend a mouth guard if you can actually get a burnout started on a 4500 rpm chip.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Might be flirting with disaster there Dave.
I’d do a second switch.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
...the two step RPM is too low to do a good burnout. You need to get it up above converter stall.

Correct.

Okay guys, clue me in on my burnout procedure!

I start my burnout in high gear with a powerglide. I use no limiter, but I did try a 3-step for a couple years & didn't like it. Anyway, I keep my burnout rpm at or around 4,500 rpm. It's well below the converter stall. I have no transmission fluid temperature issues in the heat of NV. racing.

I'm using a small radial slick & do not need a killer burnout. What am I missing here?

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:

I start my burnout in high gear with a powerglide. I use no limiter, but I did try a 3-step for a couple years & didn't like it. Anyway, I keep my burnout rpm at or around 4,500 rpm. It's well below the converter stall. I have no transmission fluid temperature issues in the heat of NV. racing.

I'm using a small radial slick & do not need a killer burnout. What am I missing here?

My door car burnouts are right in the neighborhood of converter stall also.

I haven't used the button in the dragster for a long time, but that was set at 6800. I use my foot and try to keep it right around 7K. Neither of those are very far above stall either. No line lock, big tire, light car - it just needs a little more wheel speed.

In either case, the burnout is done FAR above launch RPM.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of MadMax4040
posted Hide Post
Why add another rev limiter? Just use the high side in the burnout.

Posts: 28 | Location: Frisco, Tx | Registered: February 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Correct.

2BKING
Relaxing

Bryan, I think the difference is you’re not using the three step, and if you had the three step rpm that low I bet that’s why you didn’t like it.

I’ve data logged some burnouts on the 3 step before. The driveshaft accelerates and gets close to 0% converter slip. As soon as the engine hits the rev chip, the converter starts to slip quite a bit, like 20% as I recall, and the tires start slowing down.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
quote:
Didn’t you ask this question before?

Clearly he didn't like the answers the first time.

Electronically and mechanically it will work. Id recommend a mouth guard if you can actually get a burnout started on a 4500 rpm chip.

If I asked this question before I apologize. (Getting old is a b!tch lol)
I was just out in the trailer trying to think of a way to switch back to a simple needle tach that I can read easily/quickly. At my last race, the shifter solenoid smoked , so I was going to have to shift manually..but on the damn digital dash tach the numbers are going so fast it's just a blur..didn't matter as it turned out, I red-lit -.002 next round..

Anyway, if I had this "brilliant idea" already I apologize..Its not that I didn't like the answers. I most have just forgotten...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Correct.

2BKING
Relaxing

Bryan, I think the difference is you’re not using the three step, and if you had the three step rpm that low I bet that’s why you didn’t like it.

I’ve data logged some burnouts on the 3 step before. The driveshaft accelerates and gets close to 0% converter slip. As soon as the engine hits the rev chip, the converter starts to slip quite a bit, like 20% as I recall, and the tires start slowing down.

I'm pretty sure my burnout rpm was 5,500 on the limiter, it was still 500 below stall. I know the reason I didn't like the 3-step. I forgot to turn off the activation switch before my run a couple times. Once it was at one of the Spring Fling Million races. I was lucky to be on a bye run into the finals of the Pro Class race.

If I was electronically savvy like markemark. I would have had the 3-step wired up so it would turn itself on & off automatically!

I'm comfortable with my burnout rpm now, without using a limiter. I was just curious why it needed to be at the converter stall or above.

Thanks for taking time to explain!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
I have never used a burnout rev limiter, just set the car up with a simple 2 step for the launch.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Rev limiters are horrible on the engine when doing burnouts......I just watch my tach and control the throttle....Usually shoot for about 7K as well, works for me....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
https://rehermorrison.com/tech...abusing-your-engine/

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post