DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Floats for alcohol 4150 holley?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floats for alcohol 4150 holley?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
What floats work best for a 4150 Holley using methanol? The Quick Fuel state for alcohol but I don't see any spec for the Holley floats.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
Braswell

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
What floats work best for a 4150 Holley using methanol? The Quick Fuel state for alcohol but I don't see any spec for the Holley floats.

The floats that came in the carb from Rupert. Set the float level with the warm up valve open or partially open (raised idle rpm). The warm up valve won't warm up the engine if the booster is pouring fuel.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
I have always just run the normal plastic floats.

Recently picked up a "professionally" built custom carb that came with a brass front and plastic rear. I can see no difference in the plastic float in this carb than the spare holley i have in the trailer.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
All three of my alcohol APD carbs have black floats front and rear.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 469 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I use the black Quickfuel floats and change them every Spring.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Are all "black floats" created equal? I see there are road race black floats and standard black floats. I know there are notched black floats for the jet extensions and I've seen some running notched floats front and rear because they said they are better floats.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I run the 16-9 on the front and 16-11 (notched) on the rear.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SonnyJames
posted Hide Post
Braswell. No brass floats with Methanol. Change nitrophyl floats at a min every 6mo with methanol. Talking consistency.

Posts: 680 | Location: Consistently researching inconsistencies | Registered: September 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Braswell or APD floats.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
OK, the Braswell floats sound good. What is the difference if any between the black nitrophyl type floats? Do you really have to change them every 6 mos or every year? Do they get saturated with alcohol? Rupert told me to weigh them to see if they were good. My scale does grams but not tenths of grams.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I think most shops are getting them from the same place, Walker Products. Buy them in bulk and get them for pennies on the dollar. They have a high buy-in and you must maintain x amount per year to keep your deal. They carry everything, gaskets, parts, floats etc.

http://www.walkerproducts.com/...high_performance.pdf

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, the Braswell floats sound good. What is the difference if any between the black nitrophyl type floats? Do you really have to change them every 6 mos or every year? Do they get saturated with alcohol? Rupert told me to weigh them to see if they were good. My scale does grams but not tenths of grams.

I haven't run alky in a while but they all eventually got saturated with alky over time. No need to weight them, just keep an eye on your float level as it will get higher as they become alky logged. What happens is every time you readjust the float level you reduce float drop, sooner or later you restrict it too much and then fuel flow required can't keep up and you drain the bowls during a run causing it to lean out and slow up. From what I remember the plastic ones are too light to control fuel level as needed and the brass ones eventually collapse. Although there is no reason not to run a carb and alky, injection is better for two reasons, less upkeep and its faster.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can get the little digital scale from Harbor Freight, it's dead on with what Braswell marks on the floats. I wouldn't say you "need" to swap them out every 6 months, but if you buy two sets, you can swap them and reuse them for a long time if you want. Do not use the Holley nitrophyl floats with alky.

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
If you pull the bowls after the race and let them dry overnight they last a lot longer.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1st_Gen:
quote:

You can get the little digital scale from Harbor Freight, it's dead on with what Braswell marks on the floats. I wouldn't say you "need" to swap them out every 6 months, but if you buy two sets, you can swap them and reuse them for a long time if you want. Do not use the Holley nitrophyl floats with alky.

I have a HF digital scale and another brand, neither go to tenths of a gram.
I believe Rupert said to use Holley floats, that's what the ones in my carb look like.
If all of these floats are Nitrophyl what is the difference between them.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The difference I see is the Braswell floats do not get heavy as fast as the Holley. I've seen the Holley floats actually have splits in them for whatever reason. I simply stopped using them. My HF scale goes to tenths.

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post