DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    "Family Tradition" a build for Daughter & Grandchildren
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Family Tradition" a build for Daughter & Grandchildren
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have good progress with the new frame section. When this is finished, the attaching points will be boxed and triangulated. Plus, the shock cross-member and roll bar rear struts will tie it all together

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
rear mods

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Visualizing how the engine placement will fit, what will interfere, what will be OK. The first impression is only the OE side mounts will be removed to be replaced with front and mid-motor/engine plates. I had hoped the Super 10 fender-well exit headers would fit but on go, the front frame is slightly wider.

I "think" the engine compartment has plenty of room for conventional design headers.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The plan is to have the engine as rearward as the cylinder heads will allow and cut an access hatch for the distributor. In a perfect world, where the money would not be an issue, I would have a front-mounted distributor, but

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Larry, ever consider a big block for one of these builds?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
ED, yes, I have given it some thought and might do so in the future. However, I am using some parts I have had on hand for the Colorado project.

I did a BBC some years ago in a dragster, and it ran well, and I was happy with the performance.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This motor plate was cut for a different chassis but you can see an unmodified plate would be a good fit

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Plenty of carb to the hood clearance

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Old reliable, simple, easy, ladder bar.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Job change note: I originally planned on utilizing CalTracs, but after a time of pondering, I changed by mind [I do that ofter] and decided to make room for a wider tire and install the ladder bar set.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The ladder bar and shock mounts are as far outboard as the new frame will allow.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Pinion is centered

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A fellow could buy a kit to do such a modification, but I like the challenge and the thought process of a custom design. I will have the overall idea in mind, but the steps between the beginning and the end are a process of one step at a time with some deviation along the path.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
pathway

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
frame work

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
project

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Lamplighter in right lane

Larry Woodfin

IMG_8828.3gp (64 Kb, 91 downloads)

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
ladder bars

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
bars

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Competition Engineering Anti-roll bar

Larry Woodfin