DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Inconsistent reaction times.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inconsistent reaction times.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
I have been struggling with reaction times recently. I'm assuming it is on me. I installed a hi gear valve body and have had a couple guys tell me they had tried doing this and struggled with inconsistent reaction times. I seem fine on my practice tree but we all know its not the same setting in the shop chopping the tree down as on track. My question has anyone on here who runs high gear notice issues with inconsistent reaction times?
Thanks

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had same problem thought it was my age, 2 year old billet trans brake. Finally changed trans brake and was back to normal

Posts: 12 | Location: Southern In. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
All of the high gear stuff I'm involved with have a similar or better spread on the tree compared to low. This is what we have for cars and what they run in low gear.

My stuff
7.40 dragster 1850lbs
9.20 door car 2650lbs
9.60 door car 2800lbs
10.00 door car 2900lbs

Friends
10.20 door car 2800lbs
7.0 dragster 2200lbs

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll contact Marco and see what he has to say. It seemed like early on this season it was normal and then went to crap Frown

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One thing when my reaction times start acting strange and I think I am hitting the tree I will put a new solenoid on transbrake.

Also when sidewalls on your slicks start going away reaction times do to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Do you have a data logger? If so that may tell you if you have a converter problem.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is WAY outside of my wheelhouse, I don't even have a transbrake. However, if I changed one thing, and I suddenly encountered an issue, I'd be looking at that one thing pretty hard. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The tires have 75 passes on them, 65 of them have been high gear 1.30-1.35 60' so I assume they are good. I do have a spare set of wheels and tires, maybe I'll bolt them on and give it a try.

I do have a data logger and don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Tom, it seemed ok 1st 1/2 of the season.

Think I'll run a couple races in low gear and see if that changes anything.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
try letting go on a different button. I've got 2 on my wheel. When i start to struggle i go off the other.

Always think it's the car until i do that, eventually go back to the to other button and back to normal.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
The tires have 75 passes on them, 65 of them have been high gear 1.30-1.35 60' so I assume they are good. I do have a spare set of wheels and tires, maybe I'll bolt them on and give it a try.

Then I would try a new solenoid.
May try checking band tension? 72 inch-Lbs and back out 3.5 turns and lock down jam nut.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Raise your 2-step RPM when the atmosphere is junk. Wink

My car doesn't snatch the fronts quite the same when the DA is bad, gotta compensate with a 400 RPM bump on the 2-step.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is an eye opener. I normally check the band 1/2 way through the season and I've not checked it on this new trans and it has 175 or so passes. It just never crossed my mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

Then I would try a new solenoid.
May try checking band tension? 72 inch-Lbs and back out 3.5 turns and lock down jam nut.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Leaving in high gear it just drives away like an old Cadilac, no picking of the wheels at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Raise your 2-step RPM when the atmosphere is junk. Wink

My car doesn't snatch the fronts quite the same when the DA is bad, gotta compensate with a 400 RPM bump on the 2-step.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a bump up and bump down button but only one TB button. I suppose I could swap the wiring on one of them.

quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
try letting go on a different button. I've got 2 on my wheel. When i start to struggle i go off the other.

Always think it's the car until i do that, eventually go back to the to other button and back to normal.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is an eye opener. I normally check the band 1/2 way through the season and I've not checked it on this new trans and it has 175 or so passes. It just never crossed my mind.

[/QUOTE]

If you are leaving in high gear the band is not applied and just along for the ride, but I am sure you know that

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I never thought of that, and to be honest I really didn't know that I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

If you are leaving in high gear the band is not applied and just along for the ride, but I am sure you know that[/QUOTE]

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
inferno
are using a grid or any other method to pull timing out on the hit? and what rpm are you leaving at?

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a grid but since switching to high gear I don't pull any timing. I am launching at 4500.

quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
inferno
are using a grid or any other method to pull timing out on the hit? and what rpm are you leaving at?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What kind of window/inconsistency are we talking about?

If you have a friend that you trust in the car that's what we usually do before throwing parts at it.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
window is generally .025ish over maybe 10 passes (may have one outside that but I know when it happens it was way off)
Here is a few from this last weekend. Made 15 total passes and was never really a consistent group early or late. .000 .011 .017 .021 .022 .029 .031 .049 .052 .059, they are not in order just some of the runs from the weekend and never felt like I was really late. Been struggling like this the last few times out. If a guy is .059 he better know Smile