DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Radiator Recommendation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Radiator Recommendation?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I use a rad/fan from a Pontiac Firefly. It's more than enough for an alcohol engine.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1353 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you cannot build heat in an alcohol engine the carburetor is not setup properly do so. Lean the idle out, you will use less methanol, lower fumes, more temperature and cleaner oil.

Posts: 36 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
What temp thermostat are you using with the 4 holes drilled in it??

180*
quote:
Originally posted by RyanNorton1:
If you cannot build heat in an alcohol engine the carburetor is not setup properly do so. Lean the idle out, you will use less methanol, lower fumes, more temperature and cleaner oil.
Agree with this, BUT you can experience a lean stumble at the hit, especially if the air gets significantly better, (like if you started out in a day or afternoon race, and make it to the later night-time rounds). Happened to me this year, fortunately my opponent went red, or I was done. In this situation, you better think about going 1/8-1/4 turn richer on your idle mixture screws. I did, and it cured the issue for the next round.
Bottom line, that is one more thing you really don't want to have to think about in the heat of battle. I am all for a leaner, clean idle on alky, but not to the extreme that it can cost you a round, or a paycheck.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1040 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post