DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    decent head street SBC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

decent head street SBC
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Working on a old school 327. Need a decent set of heads. After market most like because old stuff cost way to much to bring up to running on unleaded gas or good flow numbers.

Aluminum would be great but most likely out of price range. Figure nice iron head best bet.Like to be well under a grand ready to bolt on. Any suggestions?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4194 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wide checkout the cylinder heads at Compition Prouducts here on the Business Directory page

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 410 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
GM Vortec should work great on a street 327. (It's wasteful to build anything less than 350 though.)

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Look at EQ heads (Engine Quest) - an Australian company making new copies of GM Vortecs. They have GM casting numbers on them and are legal in most classes of low buck roundy-round racing. I put a set on my 65 Impala. $800 delivered to my door, assembled. I got mine from Speedway Motors.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
GM Vortec should work great on a street 327. (It's wasteful to build anything less than 350 though.)

...and it's easy to put a 3.48" crank in a 327 block.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I used early S/R torquer world ( I think?)heads. Small runners small combustion. Ran really well on a 355 Camaro for my son. 11.70’s. Should find those cheap somewhere Chris.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4509 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hey guys normally I agree build bigger. I just want to build this 327, Heck its going in what we are calling adune buggy. Basically tube chassis with two seats wooden bed(30", fuel tank engine and 4 spd. In others words the motor will be half the weight of the whole thing.

Small combustion chambers kind of a must,running factory pistons. Thinking something with 240 duration @ .050 and close to 500 lift on cam,night go solid lifter. Edelbrock performer rpm*on the shelf and price is right). Just cheap toy. Only cost is rings bearings,cam kit and heads have everything else sitting here.

HECK, I thought about putting one of my 283 cranks in it for a 302 and spin the crap out of it.LOLO

Will look at suggestions.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4194 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Hey guys normally I agree build bigger. I just want to build this 327, Heck its going in what we are calling adune buggy. Basically tube chassis with two seats wooden bed(30", fuel tank engine and 4 spd. In others words the motor will be half the weight of the whole thing.

Small combustion chambers kind of a must,running factory pistons. Thinking something with 240 duration @ .050 and close to 500 lift on cam,night go solid lifter. Edelbrock performer rpm*on the shelf and price is right). Just cheap toy. Only cost is rings bearings,cam kit and heads have everything else sitting here.

HECK, I thought about putting one of my 283 cranks in it for a 302 and spin the crap out of it.LOLO

Will look at suggestions.

Chris, Look at the comp cams retro-hyd roller cam kit. . I was very impressed with them. It is more money but the gain is way better.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4509 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
Put some 305 heads on it , it'll run great

photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 338 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post