DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How Long Do Front Tires Last
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Long Do Front Tires Last
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I think this question has been posed before, but how long can you run a set of front tires on a door car? (This is assuming they still look good.)

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
3-4 yrs or until you see cracks, depends on alot of things car stored in a enclosed trailer or sets out in the sun 24-7?

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Joe door car or dragster , how is the car stored?
I got treed

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I run mine till tread, if that’s what you call it, is gone. If I don’t rotate mine side to side some then it will wear on side of tread out faster than the other due to always turning the same way off the track and such.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The car is always stored in an enclosed trailer or in the shop. The tires are about 5 years old with no noticeable tread wear or cracks. M/T front runners.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I never changed just because of age, mine just started wearing out. I think wheel base has a lot to do with it as a short wheelbase car like my monza will put more stress on front tires turning with a spool in rear than my monte I am racing now.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I know you're talking about door cars, but on my dragster I replace them when they start to show signs of cracking. Car is always stored indoors, and up on stands when it's not in the trailer.......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1474 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mine on Vette wear out quick. Had it aligned and still does. Get about 3/4 season. Running Hoosiers.
They look feathered all the time. Car goes arrow straight. ???

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
Mine on Vette wear out quick. Had it aligned and still does. Get about 3/4 season. Running Hoosiers.

Did you have the alignment done with the car set at the same attitude that it's at as it goes down the track? If the alignment was on, there shouldn't be any feathering. That's caused from either a toe in or out condition, and possibly camber...

My old chassis instructor actually did that on his car....had the same issue, was wearing the tires out when it checked spot on when it was on the rack. So he watched a video of a pass, raised the front of the car enough to duplicate what it was doing downtrack and realigned it accordingly...he ran the same set of tires for several years after that, no abnormal wear or feathering......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1474 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run them until they look scary, then go another year.

I’ve had exposure to tires in another industry where there are lives depending on the tire to work and those guys don’t get scared by a little weather checking. There was some where I didn’t even like to stand next to them based on what I’ve always been told in the auto industry. Those “other industry” experts would just laugh at me.

I’m not telling anyone to run junk, just offering some perspective.

I went 220+ in my old racetech and you could just about see the air in the front tires. Finally felt bad so had the trailer put new ones on at St Louis. Tire came off the bead on return road first pass. Defective brand new tire. Was safer on the old rotten ones.

Posts: 931 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I aligned my car myself with a tape measure and some straight edges, both cars and my present car has three seasons on front tires with no signs of wear.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:

Did you have the alignment done with the car set at the same attitude that it's at as it goes down the track? If the alignment was on, there shouldn't be any feathering. That's caused from either a toe in or out condition, and possibly camber...

My old chassis instructor actually did that on his car....had the same issue, was wearing the tires out when it checked spot on when it was on the rack. So he watched a video of a pass, raised the front of the car enough to duplicate what it was doing downtrack and realigned it accordingly...he ran the same set of tires for several years after that, no abnormal wear or feathering......

It was done static and your right it probably is way off when going down track. I'll see what I can determine

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post