New
Find
Notify
Tools

TPMS sensors
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
My Tire Pressure Monitor System light just came on. Checked the tires and all are at correct pressure. Assuming I had a senor go bad in one of the tires.
Is there a way to figure out which sensor/tire is bad?
I find lots of "Re-learn" meters for sale but nothing that says they can test each sensor...

Any help?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Scan tool, if you don't have a display that shows each tire.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a pretty good OBD scan tool but don't see anywhere on/in it to check the TPMS. I hook it up again and check closer.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
what year make and model? i do them all day long

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
2009 Silverado 1500

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
dave if you dont have a scanner that can pick up the signal off the sensor directly turn the key to the on position and hold the lock and unlock button on your factory remote key till the horn chirps...then starting with drivers front add or subtract air untill the horn chirps..then go rf...rr then left rear..
if any dont chirp after adding or subtracting air,,which could be as much as 30 seconds...could be the faulty sensor

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
TPMS sensors have a battery in them... yours are 12 years old and the other 3 may not be too far behind. It may make sense labor wise to change them all out.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't have a display for pressure on the dash I guess you'll have to try reprogramming. My 2008 has the procedure in the owners manual so you can reprogram after tire rotation. If you know a good shop they might have the tool that can read each sensor. As someone stated the sensors have a battery in them and like everything they have a life. If one went out you'll now begin the process of replacing them either one at a time or all at once.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
dave if you dont have a scanner that can pick up the signal off the sensor directly turn the key to the on position and hold the lock and unlock button on your factory remote key till the horn chirps...then starting with drivers front add or subtract air untill the horn chirps..then go rf...rr then left rear..
if any dont chirp after adding or subtracting air,,which could be as much as 30 seconds...could be the faulty sensor

OMG......Worked perfectly to find the bad one. THANKS jenavet !!

Billy, I agree. I replaced the one bad one for now (without removing the tire from the truck lol) But ordered a set of 4 to to replace them all.

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and replace them all. They are cheap at Rock Auto. I replaced them by just breaking the outside bead. The relearn is easy. Youtube.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to check your spare. LOL, i put up with a light on my wifes lexus for months just blowing it off as a bad sensor and telling her to ignore it. When I changed the oil I checked air in the spare and it was down to like 20 psi. Whoops

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Good idea. The truck does have the original spare tire. I should have ordered 5 sensors lol.

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For those that want to cut to the chase, here's albeit a limited coverage option (not Dave's), from an outfit in the UK.

https://tpmsbypass.com/

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you're going to pay money anyway, why not spend it on fixing the issue(s) and keep the low pressure sensor system in place?
Hell, I was thinking of putting one on the trailer. Had trailer tires do a shytload of damage before.

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just an option for those that want to end the big brother mandates once and for all. One can check air pressure just like you've always done. Those that like it can certainly replace batteries/sensors from time to time.

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with just taking the lightbulb in the dash out? Laughing Hard

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

Just kidding CV.......

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

Just kidding CV.......

Hate to humiliate myself, but I've done that too!!!

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
The GM vehicles I've dealt with don't use a sensor for the spare, only senses the 4 on the ground.
The system sucks for a lot of reasons especially the $100 plus for sensors if you keep your vehicles. The false alarms when it gets cold out and pressure drops can be like the boy that cried wolf. I've known people that get used to the light coming on when it's cold and they don't stop and look so they end up ruining a tire.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post