DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission coolers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission coolers
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok since the cheap o pos I had on the car took a crap and cost me a run Thursday. What are you guys using for the transmission cooler? I know Derale is kind of standard , but figure other choices to look at too.

With the ability to run high gear only I figure will need an efficient one as well as not leaking. I have two of the old AC coils we used way back, but sure far from efficient and way of weight-wise.

Other than Derale which is a very possible option. What do you have or just never had other than Derale? Oh yea what size cooler?

Limited to about 10" tall due to mounted under seat in the rear of car. Above transmission as would like not best. Puts it in the ****pit with me and that means more heat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
IMO, use a stacked plate & fin cooler. They're durable/efficient & use the biggest one you can. Pick the manufacturer of your choice.

Here's an example:

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/sum-331218

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2564 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is that looks just about like old AC coils we used 30 years ago and have been told not to use for a few various reasons.

Guess I could clean out out check flow and hook up run transmission with TB and check temps entering and leaving,

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I had 2 B&M coolers spring a leak in 1 season, the B&Ms were back ordered so I put a Derale in and never had a problem after, and trans ran cooler too.
The Derale also has a higher pressure rating, I am pretty much sold on them

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
IMO, use a stacked plate & fin cooler. They're durable/efficient & use the biggest one you can. Pick the manufacturer of your choice.

Here's an example:

2BKING Smile

I just came in from putting one of those on my truck....Last weekend in Vegas was the first time the trans has ever got up to 200* towing....funny thing though it would creep up to 180* just sitting in the pits idling with the a/c on.....I love my old workhorse but I would have melted it before I got out of that nice 75* air in the cab....That was a 108* weekend that felt like 120*....hell it might have been 120* with the firesuit on...lol

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Both of my Altereds have Deraile coolers. One has a thermostat like this to divert most of fluid back into transmission until temperature is up over 160* and then it starts running it all through cooler. I also use a thermostat on the fan that kicks it on when it gets hot.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-25792

Cheap coolers will break and leak and that could even cause a crash in addition to really messing up a track.

Some coolers do not do much cooling anyway.

Just get a good one one time and one other thing on transmission lines I only use the PTFE lined hoses. I have seen some other steel braided lines get soggy or soft with transmission fluid.
I do not take a chance on that any more.

Like I said in another post as a bracket racer you set up the car so you can do most everything possible yourself and do not need crew. My transmission cooling system I do not need to put a blower on it to cool it or ever really worry about transmission temps any more.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
PTFE lines do break also. Not even transmission fluid but oil. Ask how I and Peidmont Dragway know. I have heard 8 qt's of VR1 50 w is bytch to get cleaned up.

I have my pit cooler systems about done. Just need cooler to keep temps manageable and consistent. If pit cooler works as designed it should drop temp pretty quick with simple two connections and flip of switch. I will have one for both transmission and oil. Using car cooler and auxiliary cooler with system pumping through the transmission also. Should make fopr quick cool down.

Oil cooler side will pull from pan through cooler back to engine under intake. Flodding lifters and draining back pulling heat out as it flows back to pan. The bonus is I can change the oil w/o jacking up car or getting on the ground and that's huge for an old guy.LOL

Looking to see what is the biggest cooler I can fit between the seat and frame.

Derale seems to be the go to for car ooler.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
do like thermostat piece. Would eliminate the temp switch I had leak this week and end my fun for the day.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Put two of the Hayden brand plate fin #687 coolers hooked in seris on my new ride from trans went in first cooler out to second cooler out to trans works great mounted in front of radiator fan on engine side-trans never gets over 170

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 410 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:

Here's an example:

2BKING Smile

^^^This. Although on my digger I run a Shogun KoolKan, but changing that one out for a B&M version of one. Never have an issue with fluid temps even when hot lapping and no wires to hook up...Kool Kan will be for sale if anyone is interested

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1487 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post