DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Synthetic Oil for Diesel Tow Vehicles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Oil for Diesel Tow Vehicles
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
I am switching mine over to the Costco "Kirkland Diesel 15w40" from Delvac at my next oil change. Probably changing all my vehicles over to the Kirkland.

Mikey, do you have solid info that the Costco/Kirkland house brand diesel oil is actually Mobil Delvac?
I am a fan of Costco. Smoked a really nice 16 Lb brisket from them yesterday. They sell only USDA PRIME grade, $2.99/LB. The local Kroger store only sells Choice grade, they wanted a dollar more per pound, ($3.99), for a lesser grade of meat. Difference of $16 on 1 piece of meat, and higher quality at that. Wink
So if they can save us a few bucks on an oil change that would be great. I don't think they sell filters though...

I don’t remember if it is Delvac but I seem to remember it was a pretty solid well known blender that made it. I read some info on it over on bobistheoilguy several weeks back. It seemed to be a pretty favorable oil based on what I read. I’m on my phone or I would try to find it an link to it.

I’m a Costco junkie as well. We buy about 90% of our groceries and home stuff there.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Check Mobil site they have a rebate program for Delvac, I think it's $5 per gallon rebate.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to remember it was a pretty solid well known blender that made it.

I've only heard good things about Walmart's SuperTech, Amazon Basic and Costco Kirkland. Seems these folks have enough stroke to command a good oil at a competitive price.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Amsoil 15w40 year round here. Zero issues and I've actually recorded a slight increase in fuel economy over other oils. No BS... I track my mileage in my cars religiously and backed it up...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Thanks for the feedback, Guys.

Mike, I didn't know they made T6 / Synthetic Rotella in 15W40, all I can find here is 5W40. Thanks for the pics.

Billy, I am also a fan of synthetic oil, that is all I use in my race engines. My previous trucks were gas engines, I used it in them as well. So what viscosity do you put in your tow vehicles during Summer (hot) weather?

I use 15W40 Rotella Synthetic in my motorhome (2004 Cummins 5.9).

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have never bought into snakeoils, and I'm certainly not saying anyone who uses them is wrong. But the correct weight/viscosity is a pretty straight forward and important number to the OEM anyhow. And certain oils have been so trusted in the industry for diesel for so long, it's hard to argue that success. I grab the correct weight rotella or look for a shelf oil that has all the same approvals on it depending on the application.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post