Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Silverado TMPS
 Login/Join
 
DRR Elite
posted
I picked up a 2010 Silverado 2500. PO had the rear tires at 80 psi, which is miserable in Illinois in the winter with no load. So I lowered the rears to 48 which matched the fronts. Now the tmps wants me to add air to the rears. It didn't object to the fronts being at 48.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
On my 2016 I keep the fronts at 48 and the rears at 55 and the light stays off. I believe if it drops below 50 in the rear the light kicks on.


Ken
 
Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ok great to know! Thank you!


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If that don't work you can use a good scan tool to relearn them to a lower pressure. Its in the remote control door lock receiver.
 
Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
All right thank you!


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Why not inflate them to what it says on the door sticker?
 
Posts: 41 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ten5TireRacer:
Why not inflate them to what it says on the door sticker?

For one instance my truck came with a P rated tire which the sticker calls for 35 in front and 37 in rear and I replaced them with LT rated tire which manufacturer recommended 47 in all of them. Just showing one instance where they don’t match up.
 
Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ten5TireRacer:
Why not inflate them to what it says on the door sticker?


The proper air pressure depends on the tire and the load. All winter I run around in this thing empty. No way it needs full pressure on E rated tires.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Factory tire size air pressure

Front 60 psi
Rear 76 psi

I bought this new with 6 miles on it in 2008 when GM was going bankrupt, CHEAP. Just turned 80,000 miles. Great trucks will rip a trailer down the highway. I just rotated the tires and it needed TMPS valve stem. When one goes out it takes the system out. I can't imagine running the air pressure at 48psi

 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The desired pressures can be changed with a GM scan tool but when you raise the pressure for towing the light would be back on. I used to know the exact number when I worked at a GM dealer, but the light comes on at something like 15% below the desired pressure or 25% above. I don't know if it's possible to change the desired pressure with a bartec, or other aftermarket scan tool or not.


I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.
 
Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Best thing you can do for that truck for starters is rebuild fuel filter receiver (Head assembly) and put a CAT fuel filter conversion kit on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,
 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
The desired pressures can be changed with a GM scan tool but when you raise the pressure for towing the light would be back on. I used to know the exact number when I worked at a GM dealer, but the light comes on at something like 15% below the desired pressure or 25% above. I don't know if it's possible to change the desired pressure with a bartec, or other aftermarket scan tool or not.

I have had mine up to 60 lbs and light never came on and it calls for 35 front 37 rear from factory. My truck is a 2014 1/2 ton Chevy with max trailer package if it matters.
 
Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
The desired pressures can be changed with a GM scan tool but when you raise the pressure for towing the light would be back on. I used to know the exact number when I worked at a GM dealer, but the light comes on at something like 15% below the desired pressure or 25% above. I don't know if it's possible to change the desired pressure with a bartec, or other aftermarket scan tool or not.

I have had mine up to 60 lbs and light never came on and it calls for 35 front 37 rear from factory. My truck is a 2014 1/2 ton Chevy with max trailer package if it matters.


The 2014 is a newer platform than the OP's truck. They eliminated the light coming on with high pressure.


I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.
 
Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Interesting that they had a high pressure alert.

No Dmax for me. This is a 6.0L.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
The desired pressures can be changed with a GM scan tool but when you raise the pressure for towing the light would be back on. I used to know the exact number when I worked at a GM dealer, but the light comes on at something like 15% below the desired pressure or 25% above. I don't know if it's possible to change the desired pressure with a bartec, or other aftermarket scan tool or not.

I have had mine up to 60 lbs and light never came on and it calls for 35 front 37 rear from factory. My truck is a 2014 1/2 ton Chevy with max trailer package if it matters.


The 2014 is a newer platform than the OP's truck. They eliminated the light coming on with high pressure.

Thanks that’s good to know.
 
Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
My 2002 Gas 6.0 2500 HD 4x4 crew cab the factory pressures were 55 Front, 80 PSI Rear.
But I always ran them lower in Winter or not towing. 50 in the fronts, rears at 70 PSI. Helped the ride a bunch, better traction in bad weather, and also more even tire wear. TPMS monitor never came on. Rotated them about every 7K miles, and got over 90,000 miles on 2 sets.

My '15 DMax is newer same truck, but with diesel engine. Specs are 60 Front, 75 Rear.
I've put 36K on it, and it seems to be wearing tires at the edges a bit, even with rotations, so I have been keeping it right about at spec.


Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!
 
Posts: 1043 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The dmax has more weight on the front tires. The rear of a 3/4 ton unloaded isn't much differently loaded than the rear of a half ton unloaded. So being pushed to run 70 psi or more in the rear just ends up knocking the centers out of tires prematurely. IMO


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Glad I don't have to deal with TPMS. And DEF, DPF, etc.
 
Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
OK I'm going to have to do something. Either I put up with the low light during the winter, or change so it doesn't warn so high. And maybe I have to change come spring for towing again?

The traction stinks at 76 psi in the rear. It's riding up on the center of the tire, and in the snow and ice I could really use more than that. Plus, every bump upsets the tire and it loses traction.

Is there a procedure that can be used without a tool? Do tools like autotap address this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just showing one instance where they don’t match up.

The door sticker is only good for a like size and construction tire. You can imagine the design difference between run-flats and non. I've heard of cars going into limp mode due to TPMS issues (big brother is watching). May have been a total failure can't recall for sure.


Illegitimi non carborundum
 
Posts: 2337 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


© DragRaceResults.com 2024