DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pulling Diesel Pusher 6v92
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulling Diesel Pusher 6v92
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Any one have any experience pulling with a motorhome with a 6v92 Detroit?

Posts: 400 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: April 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
there were a lot of them in smaller semi,s and straight trucks years ago, they were a decent engine power wise,lots better than the 71,s and 53 series

Posts: 26 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Buses used them. MCI’s used by the bus company a few blocks from my workplace all had 6V92’s. I’ve read they made as much as 550hp in marine versions,Turbo after cooled. Prevost coaches used 8V92’s and had a ton of power. The basic 6 is 270hp. Would need a lot of parts and money to get 550 out of one. Big torque.....and they used to be nicknamed “driptroits” Lol

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used a converted MCI 9 for a while to pull the 24' box. It pulls fine. Hard to tell it's back there until there's a long hill. 6V92TA DDEC I, I think it was 370hp? Driptroit is the truth. Carry plenty of extra oil. If it ain't leaking, it ain't got any oil in it.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Super nice 1995 Vogue coach with 350hp 6v92 and Allison 4 speed. Seems like a real quality coach but the motor scares me off a little,

Posts: 400 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: April 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Those engines were pretty reliable.
They even built 12V92’s by essentially bolting 2 6’s together. Did the same thing with 8’s to make V16’s. They were used a lot as generator engines and I worked on a few

Went to one once that kicked a rod cap right out the side of the block. Still ran and very little oil was thrown around. A V12 I think it was. Right off the NJ Parkway. A Detroit dealer fixed it. I did the initial startup and was nervous !!!! That’s a big pile of iron and even at 1800 rpm gets your attention.

Vogue’s were nice ! Very nice if it’s a Prevost Vogue.

My good friend was the northeast service rep for Prevost for about 15-20 years.

I worked on some coaches with him. They were all Detroits back then. 8V92’s

92 cubic inches per cylinder...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Those engines were pretty reliable.
They even built 12V92’s by essentially bolting 2 6’s together. Did the same thing with 8’s to make V16’s. They were used a lot as generator engines and I worked on a few

Went to one once that kicked a rod cap right out the side of the block. Still ran and very little oil was thrown around. A V12 I think it was. Right off the NJ Parkway. A Detroit dealer fixed it. I did the initial startup and was nervous !!!! That’s a big pile of iron and even at 1800 rpm gets your attention.

Vogue’s were nice ! Very nice if it’s a Prevost Vogue.

My good friend was the northeast service rep for Prevost for about 15-20 years.

I worked on some coaches with him. They were all Detroits back then. 8V92’s

92 cubic inches per cylinder...

Good stories! I started out in the fire industry with 8V71’s and some inline 6’s too. Then went to 6V92TA. Silver 92! Great engines! Yeah the breather boxes blubber oil but those 2 stroke motors are music! Then to Series 60! Even better!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4509 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lots of those 6V92 and 8V92's in boats around here on the Oregon Coast.

12V92's....called them Buzzin Dozen's...there was a bunch of them in trucks pulling multiple log trailers called mule trains out of the woods into town.

You could do a lot worse than one of those motors.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
the only thing that I was nervous of on mine was the darn fan belt. What is that thing, 80 foot long?

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My friends Prevost's had a 90 degree gear box....
They were made by Boston gear and they broke on pretty regular basis for a while...

The MCI's had long round drive belts I think they were and they made the 90 degree turn......they never broke !!!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mavman:
the only thing that I was nervous of on mine was the darn fan belt. What is that thing, 80 foot long?

Guess I could use one as a belt if it every broke!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post