DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    APD 1250 Max Flow CO2 Leak
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

APD 1250 Max Flow CO2 Leak
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
I have a APD 1250 Max Flow Throttle Stop Dominator that leaks CO2 at the "Down Power", one inch long 1/4-20 adjuster that threads into the back of the air cylinder on the carburetor.

I added a small amount of silicone to the threads of the adjuster then added a small "O" ring between the lock nut and the cylinder. It still leaks and will discharge a 10oz. bottle very quickly unless I turn off the bottle immediately after every run. Per the APD instruction, the pressure is set at 100#.

Any suggestions on how to stop the CO2 leak would be appreciated.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yea but that's not going to fix the leak, just drain the battery because the compressor is always running^^^

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Try Loctite 567, Industry standard. Or try some plumbing thread seal tape.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Make sure the fitting doesn't bottom out in the hole before it fully tightens...if it is, try shortening the fitting a few threads..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a few air leaks I have been chasing myself on my car what are you using to find them glass cleaner does not seem to bubble u very well

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Soapy water applied with a tooth brush

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I finally sealed the fitting (1/4-20 adjustment bolt) with a second coat of silicone. Couldn't find the Loctite 567 locally so I gave the silicone another try. I'll check the seal with some soapy water tomorrow to be certain. This thing will drain a 10oz bottle in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
You can get the 567 at Amazon

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I use red loctite on nitrous and c02 fittings. It comes apart just fine, and seals instantly.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The soapy water process showed very little leakage so I timed the pressure drop on the gauge. The pressure drop is very slow at 100# but it still leaks even with the second application of silicone.

Ordered Loctite from Amazon, thanks for the idea Steve.

Bob