DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bracket Racing A Small Tire
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bracket Racing A Small Tire
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It is a 12 inch wheel.. Not sure of the section width but can measure it

Posts: 2 | Location: Wilkesboro | Registered: January 06, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim333:
It is a 12 inch wheel.. Not sure of the section width but can measure it

Thanks again Tim! No need to measure for me, but others might want the info.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
I've bracket raced on big tires and small tires in the 5.80s to 6.80s range. Never had any issues on either. My stuff is pretty dialed in though, haven't made a suspension change in years while switching between big and small. It's definitely faster on smalls because of the effective gear ratio advantage and less rotating inertia, so I race on the smalls every chance I get. Usually class race on the bigs as NHRA tracks heavily favor big tires and the starting line can get pretty marginal at times.

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 211 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomR:
quote:
Originally posted by 62Galaxie:
I like to configure my car to ET and MPH higher than what would be expected. Example, 7.00 ET and 102 MPH. So my car leaves slower than most but has good top end finish. My tire size is 275/60R15 M/T radial. I place more importance on getting a clean light (first) than running faster than opponent where HIS light (car leaves, roar of engine, etc) might be distracting to me. That's just how my brain works. For years, I've been in the 6.80 to 7.30 area and I've done very well using that strategy. 7.0 car won big, big $$$ at Bristol.
Been a bottom bulb guy forever. Don't like delay boxes nor do I like using trans brakes in FOOTBRAKE.

Do you have a grid in the car? This is a perfect example of its capabilities with the timing maps. Leave soft and ramp the timing in so it is more consistent off the line.

No electronics at all. Brake pedal, gas pedal, carb. Thats it.

Posts: 83 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nim Rod:
I've bracket raced on big tires and small tires in the 5.80s to 6.80s range. Never had any issues on either. My stuff is pretty dialed in though, haven't made a suspension change in years while switching between big and small. It's definitely faster on smalls because of the effective gear ratio advantage and less rotating inertia, so I race on the smalls every chance I get. Usually class race on the bigs as NHRA tracks heavily favor big tires and the starting line can get pretty marginal at times.

How many are consistently going rounds & winning on a small tires going sub 6 sec. 1/8-mile times? I would say, most are winning in the 6.20 or slower range, who agrees or disagrees?

NimboNoRod, why do you care if you're faster/quicker on small tires? We are bracket racing & that's what this forum is about, Bracket Talk. If you have the option to run a small or big tire. IMO, it would be smarter to run the big tire! Wink

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
NimboNoRod, why do you care if you're faster/quicker on small tires? We are bracket racing & that's what this forum is about, Bracket Talk. If you have the option to run a small or big tire. IMO, it would be smarter to run the big tire! Wink

2BKING

Cause going fast is more fun, plus better look at the stripe against slower door slammers. I've seen no difference in the consistency in my stuff on a 28 so no real downside.

Posts: 211 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
NimboNoRod,

For the sake of conversation, I would like to hear the differences!

Small vs. big:

tire sizes
weight
brand
ET/MPH

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
NimboNoRod,

For the sake of conversation, I would like to hear the differences!

Small vs. big:

tire sizes
weight
brand
ET/MPH

2BKING
Relaxing

13x32 Hoosier slick goes high 6.0s on motor.

28x10.5 M/T floppy usually gets me mid 5.90s on motor

speed is pretty similar when both tires are N/A

Car weighs around 2700#s

1.32vs1.29 60ft

I slow the car down or speed it up depending on the class. Open comp I shoot for 6.70s to get a clean pro tree on big tires, some small tire stuff requires spray for a faster index, been 5.60s with one kit on the 28s

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have your options!

I'm limited, by choice to small tires & that's the way we want it. I have two different brands of tires with a 9-10 lb. weight difference each between the brands. Both run the same ETs, we only saw a better 60' out of the lighter tire. I'm sure it was because they were new & the heavy tires had 140+ runs.

Anyway, hitting the track this weekend with new heavy radials.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
You're leaving with power pulled out though, correct?
No way to know if the tire weight makes any difference really, unless you unleash all the power. ?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
You're leaving with power pulled out though, correct?
No way to know if the tire weight makes any difference really, unless you unleash all the power. ?

I'm leaving on a mild launch retard & low boost, but I'm doing it with both brands of tire. When I was N/A there was a difference between the lightweights & heavyweights. With the ProCharger/boost it doesn't seem to matter.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436