DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    16v Alternator to battery Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16v Alternator to battery Question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
When wiring the alternator to charge the battery do you run the feed wire straight to the battery or to the master disconnect? I was thinking of running it so when the master switch is off the feed to the alternator is not hot.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Master

You can buy the 4 post master disconnect, that’s what I use and it works great.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5308 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You can wire it to the master switch, but make sure you wire it to the right side of the switch. If not, the engine will still run with the kill switch off.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a flaming river master disconnect and they don’t sell a four post and I didn’t want to have to change anything on my push pull setup so I mounted a constant duty solenoid by the battery and wired alternator through it. I then wired solenoid to ignition so only time my alternator sees power is when ignition switch is turned on. Alternator is wired straight to the battery and if master is turned off that kills power to ignition which shuts off power to alternator.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you wire it straight to the battery the car will shut off with the master disconnect but you have a long wire that’s always hot.

If you wire it to the other side of the master disconnect the alternator will run the car when the master disconnect is turned off.

I put the Cole Hersee 75912 BX on our 2 cars. That’s the 4 post one Cashflow is talking about so it disconnects the battery and alternator circuit. Moroso sells the Cole Hersee switch with their name on it for more money.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If you run your alt wire back to the battery or the switch be sure to use a heavy cable, not a #10 wire.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I ran #6 wire as per Powermaster recommendation and the only time my alternator wire is hot is when the ignition is turned on.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So if I wire it to the non battery side of the master disconnect switch it will still keep the motor running even though the ignition is switched off through my K&R switch panel?

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
So if I wire it to the non battery side of the master disconnect switch it will still keep the motor running even though the ignition is switched off through my K&R switch panel?

The ignition switch will still shut the car off normally. But the master disconnect switch will not shut the car off as it’s supposed to since the alternator still powers the ignition. Kind of like the old test to see if the alternator is charging is to disconnect the battery - if the car stays running the alternator is charging.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What he’s saying is if somebody shuts off master disconnect while car is running it will keep running on the alternator if wired to non battery side of disconnect.