DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    584 Intake manifold
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

584 Intake manifold
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Typical 4 link dragster that I bracket race/ run super comp in. 584 tall deck that I just purchased new heads/camshaft for. I currently have an Edelbrock 2916 manifold sitting here. New heads are Brodix bb3xtra oval 365's, cam is a Reher Morrison 420-117. I've seen mixed reviews between going with the brodix 2017, the 2017-O, the sniper x, or the sv632. Looking for any real world experience or advice on what to go with.

Posts: 3 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I would stick with what you have and try it. I am not a big fan of the brodix intakes and feel the sniper will be close to what you have. The SV632 is the best intake power wise assuming you have the motor that can use it. The cam your using should work with the SV632 also. Just not sure how much better it will be stop racing. Where do you plan on shifting the motor and what trap rpm? This would be the best way to determine if the SV632 would be a better choice

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I don't think they make a tall deck version of the SV-565 but it will make more power than the other intakes.

You can use tall deck spacers and just attach them to the intake and port match it. Very easy to do with no problem. Did it many years ago....

Use Cometic intake gaskets since they are bulletproof and make them in many different thicknesses.....

I have an SV-565 on my 565 and KNOW first hand it is better running S/C...Brodix 3x Ovals AS CAST with some port work done by me....and the port match work was very easy....just needed thicker gaskets...

A friend just had his engine redone at a well know pro builder and it is a 582 with injection and they swapped out his Brodix 2017 for the SV-565....and expect he will see an improvement.....

Exactly the same swap I made and made a substantial gain....with a gas carb.....

My car is 1975lbs and has run 8.90 at 176 with a plate and a gas carb....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'll be shifting it at 7400-7500

Posts: 3 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I don't think they make a tall deck version of the SV-565 but it will make more power than the other intakes.

Rich, the SV-632 is the tall deck version of the SV-565.

Posts: 721 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
seen a few guys pick up mph switching from an older super victor to the SV565 with that combo. I just cant remember the part number off hand. if its worth $500 to you then that's what I would do.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
quote:

Rich, the SV-632 is the tall deck version of the SV-565.

Jamie I thought the 632 was bigger internally but you may be correct.....

If it is just the tall deck version of the same manifold than it's a no brainer.....

My engine had no other changes other than the intake swap and I run the same or even +1 MPH with a PLATE stop on std fuel than I did on Q-15 with an inline stop....and RPM is never much over 7400

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can use tall deck spacers and just attach them to the intake and port match it. Very easy to do with no problem. Did it many years ago....

Use Cometic intake gaskets since they are bulletproof and make them in many different thicknesses.....

I have an SV-565 on my 565 and KNOW first hand it is better running S/C...Brodix 3x Ovals AS CAST with some port work done by me....and the port match work was very easy....just needed thicker gaskets...

A friend just had his engine redone at a well know pro builder and it is a 582 with injection and they swapped out his Brodix 2017 for the SV-565....and expect he will see an improvement.....

Exactly the same swap I made and made a substantial gain....with a gas carb.....

My car is 1975lbs and has run 8.90 at 176 with a plate and a gas carb....

I have had both the 565 and 632 side by side and other than the tall vs short deck, no differences!

A few years ago a friend of mine went from the Super Vic to the SV565, from a Terminator on alky to a 1250 gas carb (APD) on a 582 RED. We also tweaked the cam. It ran a touch faster after the swap so the intake helped! Just the alky to gas swap has been a tenth slower with no other changes in my old 565 combo.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ML389D:
I'll be shifting it at 7400-7500

Not a lot of rpm there! I would say you will need to turn it higher to get the most out of even that cam you have... If your after all the performance you can get then I'd sell the SV and get the 632 but you will need to get up in to the 7700 range get it all

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Cometic can sell you the Spacers for the tall deck conversion as well... very inexpensive and the can match the gasket perfectly... use two gaskets plus the spacer plate....1 on each side..

Posts: 228 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Al for the confirmation on those 2 intakes.

I was pleasantly surprised when I swapped intakes.

I have never made a non t-stop run since I made that change.

I feel like the gas carb (1050) with the SV-565 would run as fast if not faster than the Terminator I ran.

In the past the Brodix intake and gas carb ran within .02 and about 1 mph slower than the Terminator....in similar air....

I did massage the Brodix and played with spacers.....

I like trying things.....

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The SV 565 has a beginning runner area of 5.0 Square inches.The SV 632 has a beginning runner area of 5.38 SQ IN.Bill C.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG SPEED:
The SV 565 has a beginning runner area of 5.0 Square inches.The SV 632 has a beginning runner area of 5.38 SQ IN.Bill C.

Did you read that in a book?

They are the same!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by BIG SPEED:

Did you read that in a book?
Right out of the Edelbrock catalogue
They are the same!

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Page 50 of the 2017 Eddy catalogue SV565 #2896 at 5.0 Sq in.SV 632#2897 at 5.38 Sq In

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I hate to quote Ed here but it must be true if you saw it on the internet.

Or maybe they sent me the only SV565 that's exactly the same as the SV632...

BTW my previous question,, ah forget it