Find
Notify
Tools

Alternator
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
:Yes, it must kill battery, motor, fuel pump and everything.

NOT true. Read the rule. It does not state that all battery power has to be removed from the vehicle.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Adding another disconnect is against the rule.

Read the Rule. Only one Master Cutoff located at the outer rear of car. My drawing shows ONE “Master Cutoff” to the positive power circuit that stops all electrical functions. You can put as many “Disconnect” switches in your car as you desire.

Posts: 2481 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's hard to put on paper (screen) what you're thinking when you write something. I did just that when I posted my last response.

Based on the last drawing that was given, it appears that there are 2 disconnect switches. One for the relay board titled "master cut off" and the added switch titled "remote disconnect". If the NHRA rule that was also posted is true, then that drawing would be illegal IF both of those switches are manually operated. But if the "master cut off" also operates the "remote disconnect", then I would see that as legal.

As far as having 2 "master disconnects" (one on the back or outside the driver area and one inside the driver area), as long as they are wired in series with each other, I would say that is legal also. Because if either switch is operated to the "off" position, it kills all power on the output side of the switch that is operated.

If you look at the original drawing that only has the "master cut off" switch, it would not stop "all electrical functions" because if the starter relay welds its contacts shut, the starter would keep spinning the engine.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 311 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a driver accessible shut off, I'd run a morse cable to the master switch.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1677 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If you really want to waste time and add to the confusion, call a sanctioning body, your choice which one, and ask them what is correct. I did once, answer as clear as mud.

Posts: 1471 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My S10 has two Master Disconnects. Both operate the main power solenoid that supplies all battery power.
Push the one in at the back of the car, everything is off. Push the one in on the dash, everything is off. These remote Master Switches are simple push-pull on/off switches that ground the Main Solenoid. Can be wired with 14 gauge wire as all they do is supply a ground to turn off the Main Power solenoid. Easy to install, no cables, no big wires or switches and "Instant on or off".
The one I use is a Cole-Hersee 200-amp continuous-duty RV solenoid. About $80.00 if my fading memory recalls.

Mark knows his systems and so do I. The interior, drive reachable master shutoff has been in every car I have had since 2001. Simple, easy and effective. NHRA/IHRA and WDRA approved several times over.

Jok

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Toad1,

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
My S10 has two Master Disconnects. Both operate the main power solenoid that supplies all battery power.
Push the one in at the back of the car, everything is off. Push the one in on the dash, everything is off. These remote Master Switches are simple push-pull on/off switches that ground the Main Solenoid. Can be wired with 14 gauge wire as all they do is supply a ground to turn off the Main Power solenoid. Easy to install, no cables, no big wires or switches and "Instant on or off".
The one I use is a Cole-Hersee 200-amp continuous-duty RV solenoid. About $80.00 if my fading memory recalls.

Mark knows his systems and so do I. The interior, drive reachable master shutoff has been in every car I have had since 2001. Simple, easy and effective. NHRA/IHRA and WDRA approved several times over.

Jok

Do you run an alternator? If so is it wired like Marks?

Posts: 1471 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post