DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Boring in here let's start a debate. To cross or not?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boring in here let's start a debate. To cross or not?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
No, not a religious topic. Well, maybe to some.

To cross or not cross your tiedowns. Here's a video from Mac's showing why you shouldn't do it.

What say you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...&utm_content=graphic

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5331 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
I cross mine in the rear. I have the length re determined and I winch the car in. So I place the straps and then winch the car the rest of the way in to tighten the straps. This prevents the X wanting to give if I stop fast. Nothing is touching the straps so there is nothing causing premature wear. My Golf cart is in front of my car and the nose of the car has never touched the cart. I feel crossing gives more stability and holds the car firmer. Wasn't real impressed with his vid and it seemed it wound up trying to sell another of his product's. Don't forget to use a bladder on a drag car, you'll wear those shocks out fast pulling long distances with it bouncing up and down.

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I cross mine, both front and back, the strap hooks on the car are less than 18 inches apart, it's not going anywhere. Like Ferny, been doing it that way since the late '50's, no car I've ever towed has moved sideways.

(1) Another comment about the car moving sideways. If both straps broke (which is highly unlikely) the trailer foot boxes would stop my car long before the body would hit the side of the trailer, the rear tires would contact the foot boxes first and stop the car from going any further.

(2) I don't tow like I'm driving a road race car. 55 is my absolute top speed towing. I'n not planning on visiting a ditch anytime soon because of a blown-out tire

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,

Posts: 3170 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem crossing mine. Some of the stuff he pionts out is just plain old common sense!! Not that is a lot of that left these days!

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Can't we debate pinion angle instead?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6442 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Always 4 straps, never cross them. Stop frequently and check the straps. I've seen a crossed rear strap fail and when they opened the trailer the car was against the wall of the trailer.

Posts: 1552 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
4 straps and I cross the rear. I position them up against the center section so they are already all the way in.

I cross the rear so if the trailer ever starts to whip around it wont sling the back of the car off the trailer. (at least thats my reason on why to cross them)

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 781 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Been crossing them for 50 years and never had an issue. Pinion angle should be 2.5 to 4 degrees down. So there....LOL

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a place in the center of the front cross member where I hook 2 straps, 1 to the left and one to the right. In the back I run a strap through the bottom of the ladder bars with one end hooked to the left and one to the right. It works. Used to go over the front of the center section in the rear and under the axel housing. That worked good to. Went over the slicks on dragsters and a bladder underneath in the middle. That worked also. I have only raced a short time, still learning.

Posts: 6262 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I cross the back, sometimes I don’t. Front frame has factory holes that line up perfect with the tie downs, so it’s always straight.
Usually only cross the back when there happens to be a “cross-strapper” hanging around when I’m loading up. “Cross-Strappers” are generally make more of a fuss about how something is strapped than straight strappers.
I don’t think it really matters- what matters to me more is the condition of my straps and what they are hooked to.
Now all the “Cross-Strappers” are going to come “Out of the Trailer” and call me a cross-strapaphobe..before you know it they’ll have a flag and a parade and all that good stuff..

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Can't we debate pinion angle instead?

Only if circumstances DO NOT include ring gears of 360 degree circumference.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Rim screws? Yes or No Leave comments below

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1230 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
The only way straight is better is if the tie down is very short. If it is long the car will still move enough to find the wall of the trailer.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1230 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have always cross tied and never issue.Even in a wreck that had back of trailer bent down cpl inches,car was still in same spot.

I did notice that at end of video he had a piece for sale that would keep car from moving sideways. Maybe influenced his thoughts?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only way straight is better is if the tie down is very short. If it is long the car will still move enough to find the wall of the trailer.

I think what he is saying is that the straight straps will still be pulling straight but if one of the crossed straps gets loose then it will tend to pull the car towards one side or the other whereas the straight strap would continue to pull straight.

What part of the truth and facts do you not understand??? Sorry, I just had to throw that statement out there in memory of someone who was banned. Big Grin

Posts: 5331 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Thanks Verne, some of us needed a good laugh. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I have only raced a short time, still learning.
Razz

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1086 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't always use a trailer, but when I do, I cross them in the back. Wink Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1265 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't cross anything on my racecar, a dragster would not look cool tied down like a door car. When i was in the doorcar world, i did cross front and rear but never used loops over the axle or the cross member because i always had places to hook the end of the ratchet strap and didn't need the loops.

Pinion angle should be -5 to -7 for traction bars, -3 to -5 for ladder bars, -2 to -1 for 4 link.

No rim screws (this includes, goodyear, hoosier, M/T, radials and bias plys).

Posts: 428 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why use straps? Just put it in park.

Posts: 531 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Phil,

A hundred years ago a Pontiac racer by the name of Ramon Lowe did just that. Put it in park and set the emergency brake. It never came off the trailer as far as I know. Big Grin