Find
Notify
Tools

MSD repair
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
My MSD 6AL box quit on me, swapped my spare in and the car was fine. Where can it be sent for repair? Anyone have any positive experience getting one repaired?

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
It’s been several years but I’ve had a few fixed by MSD. Be sure and get a RMA from their site before you send it in.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
X2 on MSD call them and send it in usually less than $150 to fix it about 2-3 week turn around

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sent in a MSD 7al3 box that had an intermittent 2 step circuit to MSD a couple years ago. They had it back to me in 2 weeks and the price was less than I was expecting, like $130 or so. They did a bunch of bench tests and included a results sheet too.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have never ran the 6-AL but if I remember right that model is potted and can not be repaired?

A call to MSD will answer that. The 7AL are repairable and they do fail.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4020 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
http://www.techwestracing.com/

I've had good service with him, some haven't.
YMMV

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick!:
http://www.techwestracing.com/

I've had good service with him, some haven't.
YMMV

When I sent my box in to MSD I tried tech west. Left a message and never got a call back. Agree with YMMV.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Be prepared for them to tell you they couldn't find anything wrong and it's probably something else with your car but they performed an "update", however the box will miraculously work when you get it back.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I can see MSD techs pulling their hair out.

I had a deal over the weekend with my grid data acquisition not working, I thought for sure it was the grid, turned out it was the laptop loaded a update that was sending logs to the recycle bin.

I uninstalled that app and data acquisition worked like normally.

I can see MSD techs pulling their hair out dealing with people. I wouldn't want that job.

I'm kinda stubborn / relentless, only reason I figured it out. Only took two days.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have sent 3 boxes to Pat at Tech West and he fixed them all. The last one took a while to get back and he does not answer his phone much.

Then a friend sent a box to him and he liked to never have got it back. He went through a lot of bull and time. I would have recommend TechWest a few years ago but now I have to say I do not recommend him and would suggest you send it back to MSD.

Still if I remember right the 6-AL is the one that is potted and can not be repaired? Anyone verify this? I do not run that model.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4020 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of the rain maker
posted Hide Post
I had a few 6ALs(non digital)repaired and it cost around $60-$80 if I remember correctly. It’s been several years ago.

David Hammons
2014 IHRA Electronics Champion Gulfport Dragway
2016, 2018 IHRA Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway
2018, 2019 1000' Footbrake Champion Gulfport Dragway

Posts: 73 | Location: gulfport ms | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I sent my 6AL back to MSD around this time last year. They had it back to me fixed in less than 2 weeks and the total bill on mine was $35 including shipping.

Posts: 176 | Location: Byron, GA | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Just an update, called MSD pressed a lot of buttons to talk to the RMA person got someone else. He said it's $27-$125 depending on what's wrong and if it was repairable. He couldn't give me an RMA and said the RMA guy would call me. No call. For grins I called Techwest, mailbox is full. I emailed Techwest so far no reply.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tech West for years MSD AL 2 and 3 always have had good service. Tech West does alot of units not only Drag but for other Motorsports also.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
MSD never called neither did Techwest and no email either. Called Techwest and this time I left a message, no return call. Called MSD went through the drill pressing numbers and got another person that couldn't help me, she gave me another # to call. Called that number got another person that couldn't help me and she transferred me to someone that could. He answered and his phone wasn't working right and he cut me off. One more attempt and I finally got to the guy that could help. He still had phone problems and I was telling him not to hang up and to change phones which he finally did and I finally got an RMA #.
What a joke

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Tech West for years MSD AL 2 and 3 always have had good service. Tech West does alot of units not only Drag but for other Motorsports also.

For years I have used and recommended Pat at TechWest. No longer, he has done 3 of the 7AL-2 boxes for me. The last one was a spare for me so there was no rush but it took him a very long time and a lot of calls to get it back.

Then a friend sent him one and went through all kinds of bull to get his back. It was ridiculous what he went through and even I was calling to try to get it resolved. I hate to say it but do not use TechWest.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd say he must be doing too many units or at least too many to answer the phone or return a call or email.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:

I'd say he must be doing too many units or at least too many to answer the phone or return a call or email.

Bull, if he has your parts he can answer the phone. Literally took months and hundreds of phone calls to get it back. Eventually the police were called and sent over there just to verify if he was even alive.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My MSD 6AL box quit on me, swapped my spare in and the car was fine.

Curious, is this the older 6420 or the newer 6421 box?

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
My MSD 6AL box quit on me, swapped my spare in and the car was fine.

Curious, is this the older 6420 or the newer 6421 box?

Older 6420, both of them.