DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    transbrake jerking
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

transbrake jerking
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Yes, built from OEM cores as far as I know

Posts: 2530 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

And on a separate note I had a aluminum VB, worked good for for about a year then got super inconsistent. Took it out and put a cast iron back in and problems went away

On the aluminum valve bodies you have a steel piston going in there and the aluminum will gall easily causing problems. I think a steel sleeve inside or even bronze sleeve would be an improvement.

I am just not sold on the aluminum valve bodies at this time. Still I agree with Rusty and check solenoid depth and wiring issues.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4244 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, built from OEM cores as far as I know

Thank you. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
BTE aluminum valve bodies in 3 transmissions never have had any issue.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

And on a separate note I had a aluminum VB, worked good for for about a year then got super inconsistent. Took it out and put a cast iron back in and problems went away

On the aluminum valve bodies you have a steel piston going in there and the aluminum will gall easily causing problems. I think a steel sleeve inside or even bronze sleeve would be an improvement.

I am just not sold on the aluminum valve bodies at this time. Still I agree with Rusty and check solenoid depth and wiring issues.

Careful there Bruce. You are borderline trying to fix a problem that is not a problem. Same thing I was told a year ago when posting the same solution on a thread about this.

A coated piston would be good step two. With all the types of coating out to reduce friction. While cost prohibitive for one doing a few hundred pieces it would be cheap for manufactures.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Going to test all of these suggestions shortly. If works fine,will let know.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Soleniod timing is very critical with aluminum valvebodies. It seems ALL the aluminum ones, usually need the solenoid shimmed out away from case .100. BTE, Trans Specialties, and FTI are pretty much using the same NEW core and valve. If the transbrake engages when pulled in low, the solenoid needs to go out. If its creeping or not holding at all, usually solonoid needs to go in. If the timing is right, then it is either a voltage issue or internal problem in the transmission

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 741 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
BTE, Trans Specialties, and FTI are pretty much using the same NEW core and valve.

BTE manufactures their own aluminum valve bodies

https://youtu.be/fc2EVlTqpgo

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The Coan was a very nice piece but the simple answer in my case was the hole for the trans brake apply valve was to small and did not have enough clearance for the valve

The aluminum they are using is very high grade material. Difficult to enlarge that hole once it was bored. At least with the equipment I have anyway !

The ATD Hipster design always worked well for me going back many years....I fell for the hype that an aluminum design would be quicker and it was not....

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
BTE, Trans Specialties, and FTI are pretty much using the same NEW core and valve.

BTE manufactures their own aluminum valve bodies

https://youtu.be/fc2EVlTqpgo

This doesnt suprise me. The deeper i get with these racing transmission companies, the more i realize they all work together. Which isnt any different than the o.e. transmission suppliers.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 741 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
so you're saying BTE supplies the cores and valve for TS and FTI?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If saying they are all made by BTE would that not mean that they are the ones manufacturing the problem? I mean if they make them for everyone else and everyone else is having issues.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
^^^illiterate = unable to read or write

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So who can not read retard? I took your post asking if they are all made by BTE. I stated that if saying BTE is the one making VB's for others and that piece is the problem. Thne you are saying BTE is the one making the bad pieces. Anyway you want to look at it that is exactly what it means

Ps nobody is writing here they are typing.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Must have been the piston. After polishing in the lathe with 400.600 and 1000. Smooth in the bore, 6 tries trans brake holding at 5500 to 6000

DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
THE T/S ALUMINUM VALVE BODY'S LOOK THE SAME AS A B.T.E....SAME PIECE OR COPY..I DON'T KNOW...BUT THE T/S V.B. HAS A DIFFERENT PRESSURE REGULATOR SYSTEM...THEY ALSO

COME PRE- PRESSURE TESTED WITH A TAG SAYING WHAT PSI...NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE...THE FTI HAS A CAPSULE REGULATOR SYSTEM & ARE NOT CLOSE TO LOOK LIKE A BTE OR T/S.

WHEN I BUILD A STOCK CASE GLIDE..I USE THE FTI...COMES SET AT 240-270 PSI..BUT CAN BE TURNED DOWN TO 200 PSI...REID CASE OR BTE OR T/S CASE..ALWAYS GO WITH THE

T/S V.B...I'VE HAD SEPARATOR PLATE ISSUES WITH BTE V.B..THE BLUE ALUMINUM ONE WON'T TAKE OVER 200 PSI...IT'S FIXED NOW WITH A GOLD STEEL SEPARATOR PLATE...DK..

Posts: 65 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Must have been the piston. After polishing in the lathe with 400.600 and 1000. Smooth in the bore, 6 tries trans brake holding at 5500 to 6000

Glad you got the issue fixed & shared the results.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2759 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the issue is not fixed until he attempts to get his POS FED off the starting line again. EVERYTHING this illiterate redneck idiot touches either breaks or doesn't work. FACT!

Meanwhile countless powerglide race transmissions with aluminum valve bodies are being sold everyday by numerous builders and installed by competent shops and racers who then stage their car and let go of the TB button without issue!

Again, I have BTE aluminum valve bodies in 3 transmissions never have had any issue. I have friends with ATI and Abruzzi transmissions with aluminum valve bodies and they too have never had an issue.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Again edna can not understand or is just too stupid to read before flipping lip.

Seems others have had the same issue with their cars. Seems more than one and enough so that they had same solutions as the manufacturer. The tech guy told me right off, tells me more than a few have called with the same issue.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would cause the tire to be jerking vilolently with brake applied. Tire only moves a little bit when doing so.

quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

Glad you got the issue fixed & shared the results.

2BKING
Relaxing

The OP stated the issue & I'm glad he fixed it with suggestions from others.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2759 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post