Find
Notify
Tools

TH400 Shifter
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted
Looking for opinions on the best TH400 shifter available...

Must have clean neutral and either air or electric RPM activated shift programable for both shifts.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
My preference is PPP. M&M Transmissions makes a very nice one as well, but be prepared to spend $1000 on it....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
M&M or PPP

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
My all time favorite is the Turbo Action Cheetah. Super smooth to operate being a gate style. Only downfall is it's kinda bulky and heavier than some of the others out there.

That said I was forced to switch a couple years ago as my new trans had a clean neutral. I went with the PPP which is a nicely made shifter, just not quite as easy or smooth to use.

Today the M&M is about the best on the market. It's light and operates pretty smoothly, just is quite costly as Coloradoracer mentioned.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nothing better than the Turbo Action Cheetah and they have a model for clean neutral #70002B

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Nothing better than the Turbo Action Cheetah and they have a model for clean neutral #70002B

When I swapped to the th400 back in 2017 I spoke to the owner of T/A and at that time they didn’t have a setup for the clean neutral or I would have gone that route. Good to know they now have one.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Ken MacNicol
posted Hide Post
Cheetah

Posts: 38 | Location: Hendersonville, Tenn. | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Turbo Action Cheetah

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Have had Cheetah shifters in the past, and agree that they are basically flawless!

After reading through their info thoroughly, I am still not sure that you can get a clean neutral with 2 shift capability?

Will give them a call for sure.....

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Call made, had to confer with the tech guy who slipped out 5 minutes early today. Supposed to get a call back tomorrow.

They do offer a dual shift, and a clean neutral, but it does not look like they offer both options in the same unit. (reverse pattern)

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Winters makes a nice shifter too if you like that larger footprint like a cheetah.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you’re shifting by air or electric you don’t need or want a reverse pattern. I could also argue that with the cheetah shifter you don’t need a clean neutral.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
I understand your reasoning, but that does not make it any easier for me to willingly stuff a shifter one notch closer to reverse at big speed. Even with my pro brake glide where I would need to stick it in reverse and hit the brake button to engage reverse, I never did feel comfortable knocking it towards reverse at the stripe.

All that said, ya, I do WANT a reverse pattern. Big Grin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
makes no sense

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
makes no sense

So explain the reason for NOT using a reverse pattern with a th400?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
first the reverse pattern valve body was created as an answer to keep from going to neutral when manually shifting a OEM shifters back in the day, before gated shifters like the Turbo Action Cheetah were created.

second, today with the advent of either electric or air activated shifting, not only is there no need for a reverse pattern but the shifters are designed and built to fire from the rear and push the shifter forward from 1-2-3 AND the shifters have a reverse lockout that must be manually disengaged to push the shifter in reverse.

This has been a popular programmable shift combo for decades...

http://acddragparts.com/1401.html

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
I understand, agree, and already knew all of that. I actually donated that exact ACD setup to a racer in need just last year.

Carl Rossler builds all of his big power 3 speeds with a reverse pattern. He may have an option for a standard forward pattern, I will have to discuss it with him. During our last call we discussed options until I was dizzy. I was ready to mention to him that I do not have Ed money.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
He’s an example of th400 reverse pattern clean neutral Cheetah.

I use Cheetah reverse pattern air shifted with 1+2 pro VB in a th400. No clean Neutral.

http://classracer.com/classfor...d.php?t=58841&page=2

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this ain't about my $, it's about yours and you have chosen to go fast, not bracket race, not class race. For the record, I don't have the $ to compete in any go fast heads up class.

Carl will build whatever you want. About 10 years ago, his top shelf turbo400 sold for $8k and Roger Burgess bought 8 of them at a time.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
I certainly cannot afford to competitively heads up race either.

I have every intention of bracket racing this new combo in top sportsman several times a year. When not doing that I will absolutely sneak up on the chassis limit......within reason.

Oh, that 8k transmission 10 years ago.....is about 14k now. Thankfully what I need, with the options I want, (mainly aftermarket case, removable bell, and tailshaft) is not quite that much....