New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grid questions?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
If I rewire my car this winter, Why would I want a grid?

I see no reason to have one if everything is working properly.

I'm not even sure if it is an ignition system or an add on to an ignition system.
Seems like a lot of people have questions about them on here. Sounds like an extra headache to me.

Change my mind and make my wallet lighter.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You answered your own question. You don’t want one and shouldn’t put one in when rewiring your car.

MSD Grid 7730/7720 is for the racer that wants the most ignition power from Digital and the ability to program necessary and needed changes. Some that have Grid don’t need or use it.

If you like what you presently have use it. If wanting advice on new analog ignition, the new MSD 7330 is an excellent choice imho.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark,
I was almost certain you were going to talk me into getting a grid!

I'll stick with my MSD 6. I got plenty of chips!
I do have a LM2 to log O2,rpm and fuel pressure. The worst part is remembering to turn it on. I can see that the grid would be good for that.
Thanks

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
we just removed our digital 7 ignition system this season and replaced it with the grid .. for us it was about being able to control the added , sudden nitrous application on the T/D . we have fought bringing the second stage on early on marginal tracks , but with the grid we can now manipulate the timing curve anywhere on the run to keep the tires from spinning/shaking when the 2nd kit comes on .... we can also add or remove timing to each cylinder individually according to how the engine distributes the fuel/NOS... it was a great deal for us . but without the NOS we probably would never use it ..

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
the new MSD 7330 is an excellent choice imho.

the 7AL3 is in both my cars and has all the features I need and want. Have no need for the Grid at this time, no need to program a timing curve.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If for no other reason, I like the data acquisition with the grid. I can download my runs and overlay them.

I found a bad shift solenoid and an alternator that couldn't keep up with the demands required of it. Not to mention, a converter going bad and not flashing the same every run. Mark also helped me figure out a problem I was having with a cheap relay bouncing and activating more than once going down track. All things I took for granted without the grid.

I have a small tire car and use timing curves depending on the track. I can drop timing on the shift or where ever I need it with a few key strokes.

I also added the grid power module to control the waterpump, fan, nitrous and a throttle stop. The add on allows me to record water temp on a run now too.

I feel the grid has paid for itself 10 fold since putting it on my car.

Just my .02, take it for what its worth.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I rewire my car this winter, Why would I want a grid?

I see no reason to have one if everything is working properly.

I'm not even sure if it is an ignition system or an add on to an ignition system.
Seems like a lot of people have questions about them on here. Sounds like an extra headache to me.

Change my mind and make my wallet lighter.

Hey Mark

I asked the same questions when building the new truck and we chose the Grid because when starting fresh, it's really not much more $$$ to do so. We are in our infancy of learning what it can do but I've been very pleased so far. I'll probably never use 1/4 the features but it's nice to know I have the options if things change.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor: I asked the same questions when building the new truck and we chose the Grid because when starting fresh, it's really not much more $$$ to do so. We are in our infancy of learning what it can do but I've been very pleased so far. I'll probably never use 1/4 the features but it's nice to know I have the options if things change.

I agree with your thinking on the Grid install of a new car. Most will use very few features, but what they do use (Launch and Shift rpm) will have far more programmable adjustment than most analog.

Installing Grid in a dumbed down mode with the Data Acquisition disabled is a good way to go if you don’t plan on using Acquisition or making changes to the initial settings.

What the MSD 7720 box does offer is very hot spark. 2x stronger than a 6al and 25% more than 7al2/3. Only the discontinued Digital 7 came close to Grid.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post