DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What we do is dangerous
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What we do is dangerous
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by TD6297:
when our daughter first started driving in the dragster, she was at Scotty's school. One thing he told her was if something was to hang, click into neutral. Gives a bit of time to think and act. His reasoning was the engine has a limiter anyway, and even if the engine was damaged, her health and life are worth more than the engine.

That is my thinking, should throttle stick hit ignition, fuel, parachute and if it still going throw it in neutral and let engine go. Hopefully the rev limiter will shut it off before it blows. Regardless blown motor is better than crashed car and hurt driver.

Have a plan for an emergency and know what to do. Like others said be able to do it in the dark and emergency.

Rev limiter is a good idea but don't position it so high (RPM setting) that the engine might come apart from being on it for a period of time - that has the potential to add more fuel (oil,fuel) to any fire plus control of the car (tires covered in oil).

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I put my high side 300 rpm over shift on 1/8th and 300 over finish line on 1/4 mile. With the Grid all you do is program the Safety Rev Limiter to come on a second or so after the ET you are running. Easy and great protection, JUST IN CASE>

Be safe out there!

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
How many of you can shut the engine ignition, fuel off and pull the parachute blindfolded?

Me!

I also keep my stuff up to date. We have it for a reason. I honestly don't feel safe in the car unless I have everything, that's just me. There is no price you can put on it either. I was wearing a /15 suit when my car used to only require a /5. I keep my certs up to date. I look everything over between races or tuning sessions. If something doesn't look right, it gets fixed.

I still need to get these things done before the season starts again:
-change brake fluid and look over the whole braking system.
-change the belt on the belt drive
-check all fuel system connections to ensure they are tight, not leaking or damaged
-check all fasteners for damage, wear, and tightness
-check all wiring for damage, being secured, and all electrical stuff for proper function
-check lug nuts and bearing nuts, bearing adjustment on front wheels
-change my oil, rear end oil, and trans oil/filter
-flush the fuel tank and clean both filters
-check converter bolts
-general good once over...

I'm sure I can list more, but these are the things I do off track....gives me a warm fuzzy knowing everything is ok.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1513 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Safety equipment is a topic that can never be discussed enough and maybe more important than ever in light of recent events.

Golf cart fires is another. Here's my battery quick disconnect, we never travel with this battery in the cart...

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Does the tray break and the battery fall over? My cart battery has a pretty beefy hold down and the frame is molded plastic. How are you strapping the cart down? I'm getting ready to load my trailer with a cart for the first time.

Posts: 1626 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes and I use a 1" strap accross the floor.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Good luck this season!

Posts: 1626 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

thanks you too

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
What about electric golf carts with 6-8 batteries? Take them all out?

Even with your one battery, where do you store it while on the road?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1. I wouldn't own an electric golf cart but if you do, then yes! Those that think that's nuts well just look to the many rigs that have burned to the ground because the battery(s) tray/hold down failed/broke and postive post became grounded when it fell over.

2. in a battery box

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Electric or not, make sure the battery tray is solid and add a top battery hold down bracket that is supported on both sides.

Also put the golf cart in first, the ride in the trailer is much smoother in the front than rear! If you put it in the rear then tie it down very well, just like the car!

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
I put my high side 300 rpm over shift on 1/8th and 300 over finish line on 1/4 mile. With the Grid all you do is program the Safety Rev Limiter to come on a second or so after the ET you are running. Easy and great protection, JUST IN CASE>

Be safe out there!

Jok

The Digital 7 also has a safety rpm, I wouldn't set it a second over the ET on a fast car though, 3 tenths is more than enough. I set mine at 2000 rpm's which is high enough to drive back to the trailer without noticing it! For those who don't know how this works you set a time to activate after the transbrake release and then the rpm limit you want.

Also for fast cars, it should have another main battery shut off in the car that you can push in a panic situation,,,, no time to look for the ignition, fuel etc, one easy to get at push knob is the best!

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post