DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What is the latest on tires?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the latest on tires?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Haven't seen any recent dragster tire threads. Looks like M/T skinny'ed down their offerings a bit.
I am thinking of making the switch over to 16" diameter rims/tires. Small block four link car that will run mostly mid 7's when bracket racing. If I hit a few quick races we may go high sixes. But we have kind of cut back on those.

I prefer narrow tires to wide ones as a rule. The 15" 3080 m/t tire I have been using has been great, but looks like it is being eliminated and is very prone to shake when I try to push under 1.06's 60' times.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
What is the latest on tires?

Same as always, Hoosier is still the best and dominates not only NHRA LODRS class racing including T/D and T/S but bracket racing too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Plus Hoosiers hold air!

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY and don't chunk on fast TD's like yours.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
MT drag tire are going away. Rumor Mill states they will be rebranded with Yellow Letters and rolled into the Goodyear Brand of tires.

Posts: 2110 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Carb spray, a little scotch brite and a rag will easily remove those yellow letters...

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Speaking with M/T, the tech line said they are facing a rubber shortage (insert joke here). So many of the tires they normally have are unavailable for 2022.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Interesting convo i had at gainsville with the engineer from goodyear.He told me that MT and goodyear racing proGRAMS will be seperate entitys for the time being but share information.
This goodyear guy seemed like he was seriously trying to develop good working tires for the td/ts side.
He actually claimed he was slightly hindered with the racers not willing to try prototypes they where developing as well as getting in depth feedback from racers.

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I wanted and ordered Hoosiers in the 3 week of January, said they would ship 2/8. When 2/8 rolled around, they pushed it back to 3/8. I start racing by then, so I cancelled the Hoosiers and went with MT.

It's just a 32x14x15, probably the most common size in a big tire.

FWIW, I soaped the MT's twice and they hold air, but I left the rim screws out also.

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
Interesting convo i had at gainsville with the engineer from goodyear.He told me that MT and goodyear racing proGRAMS will be seperate entitys for the time being but share information.
This goodyear guy seemed like he was seriously trying to develop good working tires for the td/ts side.
He actually claimed he was slightly hindered with the racers not willing to try prototypes they where developing as well as getting in depth feedback from racers.

Was that Mart you talked to?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You obviously ordered them from the wrong people. Ordered my Hoosier tires for the Firebird #18235 31.5/12.5-15W on 3/7 and had them in 2 days on 3/9.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Two different sizes.

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Don’t matter. I can get the tire you wanted all day long! how many pairs you want?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Haven't seen any recent dragster tire threads. Looks like M/T skinny'ed down their offerings a bit.
I am thinking of making the switch over to 16" diameter rims/tires. Small block four link car that will run mostly mid 7's when bracket racing. If I hit a few quick races we may go high sixes. But we have kind of cut back on those.

I prefer narrow tires to wide ones as a rule. The 15" 3080 m/t tire I have been using has been great, but looks like it is being eliminated and is very prone to shake when I try to push under 1.06's 60' times.

Bucky

I would have to say that the MT Little Bubba is the tire you need to be able to handle both NA and NOS tune ups and not have tire shake issues. A number of years back when I ran a 565 BBC combo and occasionally sprayed a 150 shot, the C06 Hoosiers couldn't handle the power if I turned the NOS on too early in the run, especially under normal summer tack conditions. This is not a knock on Hoosier tires (ED!!), this tire simply was not designed to do what I was doing just as you are finding with that MT tire. Recently I have seen the same problem with this 33.5 Hoosier tire on a TS car. It needs a the 34.5 tire.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Don’t matter. I can get the tire you wanted all day long! how many pairs you want?

Lemme guess, he has to meet a guy in an alley somewhere in ****hole Joisey?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1676 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong trailer park trash! I can get his tire all day long directly from Hoosier

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Bucky

I would have to say that the MT Little Bubba is the tire you need to be able to handle both NA and NOS tune ups and not have tire shake issues. A number of years back when I ran a 565 BBC combo and occasionally sprayed a 150 shot, the C06 Hoosiers couldn't handle the power if I turned the NOS on too early in the run, especially under normal summer tack conditions. This is not a knock on Hoosier tires (ED!!), this tire simply was not designed to do what I was doing just as you are finding with that MT tire. Recently I have seen the same problem with this 33.5 Hoosier tire on a TS car. It needs a the 34.5 tire.

Great feedback thank you. Gonna have to eventually find some 16" beadlocks or get some converted. The price on them is crazy anymore.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The major retailers say "Shipped directly from Manufacturer" in June, but Ed can get evidently get them first.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm a hoosier dealer and am having no problem getting product.

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mike, so am I. No problem over the past month getting the tires I wanted.

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
The major retailers say "Shipped directly from Manufacturer" in June, but Ed can get evidently get them first.

YES, Ed HAS gotten them first!