DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What is the latest on tires?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the latest on tires?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
lil Bubbas have printed tickets in our dragster for 5 years. Last for 250 runs easy, tire pressure isn't very critical. We are only running 4.80s-4.90s but they are smooth and repeatable. With Hoosiers we knocked out Dzus fasteners on burnouts, skipped the tire on small bumps in track and just fought to get win lights. Last few years, with M/Ts, car has paid for itself. Glad my son is driving, I could have managed to give several of those close races back by a thou or two, he sees what I am too old to see.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Jok, for the past 8 years, running 4.60s - 4.40s, we've run Hoosier's 34.5/17, 35/14 aka BR3 and my current tire 34.5/15 aka C1550 and have all printed tickets, all repeat in 60 foot less than .01 with the tightest grouping coming from the BR3 at less than .005 typically and all will go 250 passes. Never a broken dzus, never a bracket, never a weld in the burnout. Won on all 3 tires including an NHRA S/C Divisional championship, followed by finishing #2 the following season as well finishing #4 in the world in addition to numerous bracket races and BIG $ wins. Oh and they hold air, don't require soaping and are readily available. I too am glad my son is driving, he's one of the best under 30 in the country.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I get my Hoosiers off the truck at Divisional races. I plan ahead to do this. Sometimes the tires sit in my garage till I need them.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2545 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Haven't seen any recent dragster tire threads. Looks like M/T skinny'ed down their offerings a bit.
I am thinking of making the switch over to 16" diameter rims/tires. Small block four link car that will run mostly mid 7's when bracket racing. If I hit a few quick races we may go high sixes. But we have kind of cut back on those.

I prefer narrow tires to wide ones as a rule. The 15" 3080 m/t tire I have been using has been great, but looks like it is being eliminated and is very prone to shake when I try to push under 1.06's 60' times.

Bucky

I would have to say that the MT Little Bubba is the tire you need to be able to handle both NA and NOS tune ups and not have tire shake issues. A number of years back when I ran a 565 BBC combo and occasionally sprayed a 150 shot, the C06 Hoosiers couldn't handle the power if I turned the NOS on too early in the run, especially under normal summer tack conditions. This is not a knock on Hoosier tires (ED!!), this tire simply was not designed to do what I was doing just as you are finding with that MT tire. Recently I have seen the same problem with this 33.5 Hoosier tire on a TS car. It needs a the 34.5 tire.

Ive been 6.15 in the 1/4 on the 3190’s, smooth… but didn’t last

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1525 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So what is the equivalent to a MT 3191W in Hoosier? We run little bubbas, no need for big bubbas on our 4.70 dragster.

Posts: 97 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
BR3

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bubba killers

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bubba killers

Couple of the top pdra teams struggled with the 18770 this weekend...had to take them off.Definitely not a tire you can just toss on with no testing.

Posts: 1426 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don’t know why but we’re not running low 6s in the 1/4. Big Steve, Rusty and JR can speak to this.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...767032596#5767032596

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wish I could find two of these. Bummer

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Funny thing on tires. While at a Southeastern Gassers race Saturday I noticed a car with Hoosier tires was having a problem with tire leaking down. Asked the owner about them and he said yea that's normal with these tires.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4207 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Gasser Roll Eyes He’s as clueless as you! Meanwhile I’ve been running Hoosier slicks for the better part of 30 years and not 1 tire in any size I’ve run has ever l leaked on race day as well from week to week. Hell they barely leak over the off season from November they March.

That said, Big Steve is qualified #10 in TD at Houston, running 6.13 on Hoosier C1550
clapping

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed
Steve and Jr etc are in the 3.94 to 3.98 range to go 6.10..the pdra guys are 3.60 to 3.70..different world.they just need more testing

Posts: 1426 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not my wheel house but Ryan Martin doesn’t seem to have any problem running 3.60s on Hoosiers with his door car.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
This was 2 weeks ago in Noble Oklahoma D4 race.
Check out the 235.41 speed. Possibly the fastest Undercover pass in the country, and on Hoosier c1550 with no blisters or chunking

Posts: 2438 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
very nice!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Furr was .948 and 3.7's on his c1550's this weekend... c1500 is possibly better but no longer made...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1525 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
emptee what? Laughing very hard

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks like Hoosier is planning shortages along with their price increase. Hopefully it does not get as bad as MT's struggles. But two sales of the company in a year didn't help either.

https://hoosiertire.com/images..._notice_04_07_22.pdf

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 992 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
The new Hoosier tire compounds seem to require suspension changes. They have more initial bite and are prone to tire shake if you do not generate lots of wheel speed or get up on the tire early.

Posts: 118 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post