DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    16v Mini Alternator and Pully Size
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16v Mini Alternator and Pully Size
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted
Just curious if this set up is working correctly. Recently put a 16v mini alternator on and at idle it doesn't put out 16v but when it revs up it then puts out over 16. Is this normal or could this car have too small of a pully on it?

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
What's the pulley sizes?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Not sure of the one on the alternator, its whatever it came with. 3 inch I think on mandrel side.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
3” on mandrel definitely isn’t big enough. You want 2/1 ratio. I have 5” on crank and 2 1/2 “ on alternator.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Yea I have a Super Mini 16V alternator and mine is like 2-3/8 on the alternator itself and 5" on crank mandrel. I would say you 100% need to up the ratio.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
3” on mandrel definitely isn’t big enough. You want 2/1 ratio. I have 5” on crank and 2 1/2 “ on alternator.

its pretty common fpr volts to peak above idle,and should be above 16. 17.5 to 18.you may need to adjust the pulley diameter or idle speed to get volts up at idle

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
What others said, 5 to 6” on the crank and 2.5” on the alternator. Spin it like you stole it

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post