Find
Notify
Tools

Calling SCDIV1
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
Do you have any idea why this happened or what could have caused it?
Generator just stopped all output Saturday. After doing all the troubleshooting I could I decided to tear into the brushes. Burnt up.
It's a Generac RV Quietpact 75.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
It’s very common for brushes to wear uneven.

The brush holders are cheap plastic. They heat up and the brush sticks and it rapidly turns into what you have.

I’ve seen cheap Generac portables do it with very short hours.

Clean the surfaces the brushes ride on (slip rings)

Shine em up with fine sandpaper

Install new brushes and you should be good.

That’s a real cheap brush set and readily available.

On Onan’s if the holder sits to close to the slips it can do that very quickly.

I space the brush holder back with one small washer under the mounting area.

Onan had a bulletin on doing that.

Again cheap plastic holder melts from to much heat.

Welcome to generator repair....lol

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Thanks..

I done something pretty stupid to clean the slip rings, kind of one of those "hold my beer" moments, but it worked.
The plastic that melted coated the slip rings and I looked at it and was trying to figure out how to clean them up. No way to get in there to sand except maybe a 1/4 inch at a time.
I took a small screw driver and bent it at a 90* about an inch up. Fired up the gen and used it like a lathe to clean it. Actually worked well.
Anyway, I got it looking good and brush set is on the way. Reason I sent this out to you was this was only the second weekend using the generator after putting it back in the trailer and thought you might have ran into this before.
I had it out over the winter to fix an oil leak and clean it up. I replaced the brushes while I had it out.
I'd have to slot the mounting h ole to move them back.

Thanks
Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Same thing I would do

I use paint sticks with shop roll taped to the end for most repairs.

I've made a cutting type tool from a flat file.
Sharpen it on a bench grinder and do exactly what you did....On big machines....Welders...

Works good...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post