DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Carbon Fiber Body
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon Fiber Body
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted
Going to be getting started on a having a new Dragster Chassis built. Old car just had a 1 piece Fiberglass body. On the new car I am considering a 1 piece Carbon Fiber body. Just curious about how to care for it. Does it need to be cleared & how durable is it compared to fiberglass

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My 10:year old UNDERCOVER still holding up well

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not a big fan of a one piece body due to access issues, besides that they should be cleared to keep them from yellowing from UV sun light. A full carbon body is stronger that fiberglass so it's more durable. Some vendors use carbon on the outside later then fiberglass under to cut costs. I have one on my Dan Page car, the body panels are 4 layers of carbon.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I just recently bought my old car back. In 06 we had spitzer put a 1 piece carbon body on it. No gel coat and no clear coat. That thing looks good as new.

Also best part about not clearing it is all the burnout dirt wipes off like dust. No scratching or anything.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post