DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    16v with alternator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16v with alternator
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of vega3410
posted
I'm thinking of switching to a 16v battery and will run an alternator... is it necessary to step anything down to 12?

In greed we trust...So where's my money at?

Posts: 187 | Location: Elyria,Ohio | Registered: February 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
we never did. Worked great. Make sure the alternator does not put out more than battery company recommends.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run a 16 volt with alternator and I do not step down anything to 12 volts.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My water pump was cavitating. I stepped it down.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Same here 16V with an alternator for years and no step downs. We also have a car with a 16V lithium and no step downs. But that alternator is set up to be at 16.5 volts only due tot he lithium battery

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Those that have switched is it worth the money? Can you allude to the advantages - not to hijack but it is all sorta related (pros/cons)

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It was worth every penny to switch to a single 16 volt battery, I wish I had done it sooner. I had a 16 volt alternator built but I still run the larger pulley. I did not step down the voltage, I run everything at 16 volts, never had a problem.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
Those that have switched is it worth the money? Can you allude to the advantages - not to hijack but it is all sorta related (pros/cons)

"Worth the Money?" Well it depends. It DOES spin motor over faster but it has less reserve meaning battery will go dead faster. 16 volt is sprinter, 12 volt Marathon. So in a way it is 6 of one and Half Dozen of the other. I do think the motor cools faster on 16 volts I guess because fan and water pump spin faster. But I run alcohol and never had cooling problem with 12 volt.

On my new car I probably stay 12 volt simply because it is there and not much difference. I think there are other places you can spend your money and get better return on it. Nothing wrong with 16 volt at all but do not expect much difference.

Long before go to 16 Volt I would go the 139 tooth flexplate starter deal. It spins motor faster and it is very hard to break a tooth off flex plate.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Switched my S/C pipe rack to 16volt battery and alternator. No issues, did not step down a thing. It also eliminated a charging worry at the track. New build is 16volt w/alternator. Not looking back.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Switched my S/C pipe rack to 16volt battery and alternator. No issues, did not step down a thing. It also eliminated a charging worry at the track. New build is 16volt w/alternator. Not looking back.

How does it eliminate a charging worry?

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I also run an alternator and recommend it. One thing I have been running 16 volts for a while and have had two alternators fail.Lucky I caught it on my data logger before it let me down. I certainly would not trust a 16 volt system with out an alternator or charging between rounds.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
Picture of vega3410
posted Hide Post
Are you able to convert a 12v alternator to 16v?

In greed we trust...So where's my money at?

Posts: 187 | Location: Elyria,Ohio | Registered: February 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
YES! Sent ours to Mark at House of Payne performance. Cool

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I went from single 12V to a single 16V no alternator then added the 16V alternator down the road and never had to change any other electronic part. I will say, I love my XS D1600 battery and HOP alternator. I even run an electric fuel pump on gas so my fan is always on and I can usually charge once in the morning before first round and be good the rest of the day.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vega3410:
Are you able to convert a 12v alternator to 16v?

Most local starter alternator shops can do it and they sell the parts to do it cheap on Ebay if you want to convert it yourself.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
Mark Payne @ House of Payne can be your biggest help with a 16v alternator.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I frequently go to a local circle track supply House for odds and ends. They have the go lithium series and they are amazingly light and with charger go 750 dollars.

The guy says they race all weekend without charging. Multiple events which I thought was pretty amazing without alternator.

Guess if your running without alternator it might make sense to use one or if your trying to save weight definitely.

I personally can't see the justification. My 12volt autozone special with alternator spins my 582 14:1 to start without issues. Grid timing retarded for easier spinning/starting with no kickback. Same flywheel for last 16 years.

Thanks for the info. Definitely have had the urge but can't find the justification.

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
I run a Eastcoast electric 16V 120 amp Alternator on my dragster

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post