DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    May medically be unable to drive get a shoe or retire?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

May medically be unable to drive get a shoe or retire?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

Posts: 39 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I hope to keep my operation limber until the grandkids can take over driving, should they be interested in it still. Baby girl is just 2 years from a driver's license.
I spent some time tuning and dialing a car to send downtrack, I could probably do that again.

I won't have sell this stuff off while I'm alive, Lord willing.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1663 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
It doesnt cost anything to put the car on jack stands and "winterize" everything. That gives you a chance to heal and become a project for you and the boy. Maybe come up with some ideas on improvements, and you and the boy do them together. Worst case scenario, you made improvements that will help get you more money out of it.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Dad was racing til he was 82. He was at the race track 2 days before he went into his last hospital visit. Raced Sunday, passed on Wednesday. He had all kinds of problems health-wise. Diabetes, very little feeling in his feet, blind in right eye and poor vision in the left, shaky hands, mental health issues, this, that, gall bladder trouble, and heart issues. Drag racing was his passion. That's all he did. Rarely would he do anything with family outside of drag racing. He was very, very ill and in no shape to drive anything anywhere, doctor let him out of the hospital after having pancreatitis and he didn't go home-he went to the drag strip (to watch). He spent some time with my brother at his shop working on a race car of some sort, but that was the extent of his family life for the last 15 or so years. I do other things, dad used to do but he decided that his racing family was pretty important. It made him happy so I ain't mad or anything.

Point being, whatever makes you happiest, do it. We only live one life. You know yourself better than anyone else.

Speaking for myself here but if I ain't feeling good I am not good company to be around, nor do I perform well at the races. Thus, I typically stay around the house at times like that.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
See Dr.today for his final input,if driving is out gonna tinker on it till grandsons ready then get back at it in support role.Thanks for the advice guys.

Posts: 39 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barnym17:
After my 4th spine surgery in 6 months looks like dr and wife are colluding to end my so called racing career.My question is in a low dollar just for fun deal would ya sell it? Or let someone drive so you could still be involved?

May I suggest that if you decide to keep driving that you invest in one of the foam in place seats like used in funny cars, etc.
Totally worth it, especially if it's a hard tail.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I saw that Roland Leong (Hawaiian) passed away on December 29th.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
where would I look for the foam in place seat?

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
there are kits to pour a seat to fit your body.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1414 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think one of those poured in seats will protect you better as they conform to your body and fit you tighter. That keeps you from moving around much in a crash.

I would think it would make it harder to get in and out of to if you have back problems?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I think one of those poured in seats will protect you better as they conform to your body and fit you tighter. That keeps you from moving around much in a crash.

I would think it would make it harder to get in and out of to if you have back problems?

Not that hard. Adapt and overcome. The point of the insert is to NOT make things worse by being moved around by the forces involved.
It doesn't take much to get hurt. Seat belts cinched tight will not prevent such movement by themselves.

Want to see some driver shake?
Watch the tractor mini rods. IF they get into tire shake it's waay excessive. The driver is tossed around like a rag doll.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Local dude here looks pretty comfy breaking hearts and cashing checks, in Pro and Sportsman class, with a Chrysler 300.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1663 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barnym17:
After my 4th spine surgery in 6 months looks like dr and wife are colluding to end my so called racing career.My question is in a low dollar just for fun deal would ya sell it? Or let someone drive so you could still be involved?

Be a tuner/ owner if you still want to be involved.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4499 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
FWIW- One of my friends has a few cars. Had back surgery twice. Dr told him same thing. He thought; ok I’ll just go SCCA. Bought a new Vette, trick seat and all. Was selling his drag stuff, new stacker, beautiful 63 split Vette T/S A/G.
One all day trip to Sonoma road coarse and he’s selling the new Vette and going drag racing.
Said he almost made a big mistake! Said; I’ll take my chances… I’m happy drag racing.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4499 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Got the news I am done,but me and grandson have decided it is his turn.I am now looking forward to tuning supporting him and besides this gives me chance to grill grub for buddies at the strip.And I got a hunch cooking at the track just might make me new friends and thats the reason I race anyway.
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies and look forward to meeting ya in person.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
You obviously enjoy racing, driving and competing, and for that I am sorry to hear you are no longer able to do that.

I do admire your positive attitude about the circumstances, and I am glad you have a grandson who is interested in keeping your race team going. Wishing you luck, happiness and success as a tuner / crew chief and grill master. Save a burger for me. Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i'll be watching for a smoking grill

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1414 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post